The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hoofs Chipped/Split: Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoofs-chipped-split-help-137870/)

Foxesdontwearbowties 09-16-2012 08:32 PM

Hoofs Chipped/Split: Help!

2 Attachment(s)
I went out to ride Bunny today and somehow her hooves got chipped/split. :-(
I don't know how it could've happened. Had to have been sometime last night though, and I really don't know what she could've done to cause a chip like that.
Her farrier visit is scheduled for the 27th of this month, should I reschedule for as soon as possible? Does she need shoes to help it heal over? How serious is it? I don't really have any idea. :oops:
It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but I'm sure it can't be good..
Attachment 112460 Attachment 112461

Trinity3205 09-16-2012 08:48 PM

That looks like a case of self trimming. How long has it been since the last trim?

Not a big deal overall, but can break off the wall much higher than is good for them if you dont get it taken care of quickly and pony goes to thundering around a hard dry pasture. Have your farrier out asap for a trim to minimize further damage and make sure they bevel the wall to prevent further chipping issues. You probably will hardly be able to tell after a good trim.

Foxesdontwearbowties 09-16-2012 08:57 PM

Her previous owner did her hooves, she was a farrier. I don't know how good of one, though..
My current farrier is Amish so I will have to go to his house and see when he can come, he is always busy sadly.
It has been about 6 weeks, there aren't any other farriers that I trust around me.

loosie 09-16-2012 08:57 PM

Yup, no biggie, just looks like she's a bit overdue for a trim. In the first pic looks like that heel/quarter is a bit overlong/flared too? I too would be wanting to give her a good trim ASAP to prevent it getting worse tho.

ninjahorse 09-16-2012 09:47 PM

If she is this long after 6 weeks, then try scheduling appointments closer together. I think she will be fine until you can get a farrier out there.

Foxesdontwearbowties 09-16-2012 10:17 PM

Thank you all! I was verging on having an anxiety attack thinking about all the things that could go wrong, haha. She's my baby, I worry over her constantly :b I'll make sure to set her appointments closer together now. I've only had her for a month and a half so I'm still learning about her hoof growth and things.