The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Riding(trot + canter)pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-trot-canter-pics-137881/)

finn113 09-16-2012 09:09 PM

Critique My Riding(trot + canter)pics

5 Attachment(s)
So these are some pics from me riding my new horse today. This is our 7th ride together I believe. He is 16.2+ hands, 8 years old, and is an Art Deco Dutch Warmblood gelding. I have been riding english, hunter/jumper for 8 years. On my last thread I posted, I got quite a few responses with helpful suggestions. I tried them today and I hope I have improved. I am including a picture of me riding Finn last week to compare to how I was today. (the pic from last week was the one I wanted a critique on in my last thread) so hopefully for the people who replied to that thread will see a noticeable difference (last weeks pic is me wearing yellow, and todays pics are me wearing purple and black). Tear us apart!

ChingazMyBoy 09-16-2012 11:14 PM

I really like your heel - but remember to try not to tilt your toes out. I think it would really help you to lift your hands off your horses neck - just a tiny bit, not too high. Also, in the last picture try to sit a little more upright and it looks like you might be tilting in a little? Also, try to move your elbow back a little - especially in the last picture, your hands are just a bit too far up your horses neck.

I think you have a really solid seat and fixing those few little things + adding maybe a tiny bit more contact in the last picture and you'll look great.

JustDressageIt 09-16-2012 11:44 PM

While I do like a deep heel, I think you may be shoving your heel down rather than letting it drop down, which is causing you to shove your leg forward; instead of shoving your heel down, think of your legs as wet towels handing over the horse's sides, with your heels being the lowest point for the water to drop out.
Your shoulder is coming ahead of the motion a bit, bring your shoulders back a tinch do you have a line from shoulder-hip-heel.
Inside shoulder up, chest open. Hands closed on reins, thumbs on top, (you have puppy paws) elbows bent and at your sides.
You are a lovely young rider, with just a few things to change :) keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

finn113 09-17-2012 05:55 AM

Thanks for replying! I will definitely work on the things you suggested!

finn113 09-17-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 1686179)
I really like your heel - but remember to try not to tilt your toes out. I think it would really help you to lift your hands off your horses neck - just a tiny bit, not too high. Also, in the last picture try to sit a little more upright and it looks like you might be tilting in a little? Also, try to move your elbow back a little - especially in the last picture, your hands are just a bit too far up your horses neck.

I think you have a really solid seat and fixing those few little things + adding maybe a tiny bit more contact in the last picture and you'll look great.

Thanx! Yes I am defintely still working on my heel and putting more bend in my elbow lol :) thanks!!

finn113 09-17-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1686227)
While I do like a deep heel, I think you may be shoving your heel down rather than letting it drop down, which is causing you to shove your leg forward; instead of shoving your heel down, think of your legs as wet towels handing over the horse's sides, with your heels being the lowest point for the water to drop out.
Your shoulder is coming ahead of the motion a bit, bring your shoulders back a tinch do you have a line from shoulder-hip-heel.
Inside shoulder up, chest open. Hands closed on reins, thumbs on top, (you have puppy paws) elbows bent and at your sides.
You are a lovely young rider, with just a few things to change :) keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you so much!! :) Yes I am still working on my heel... alot....lol and I was really working on straightening out my back rather than arching it like I always do lol, so I will definitely incorporate bring my shoulders back. Thanks!!

finn113 09-17-2012 06:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied! If there r anymore critiques u have feel free 2 let me know! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device