The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   He BUCKS! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/he-bucks-137958/)

JustWingIt 09-17-2012 01:07 PM

He BUCKS!

Ok, so I've had my gelding since February and only recently moved him to a barn where there are trails. He is great on the trails, never spooks, walks and trots every where, over bridges through water. But as soon as we starts to canter, BOOM, huge buck, I bring him back to a walk, make him stop, back up, spin, then try to canter again, BOOM BOOM BOOM, bucks again. I don't what do do, he never bucks or does anything like this when we are riding in the ring, its just out on trail. I think he just gets really excited because he has his ears up and wants to keep going he just bucks. And his bucks are HUGE!
I'm not sure what to do, I would really like to be able to do trails with him, but it seems like every time we go he is bucking more and more and bigger and bigger.
Any suggestions on how to get him to stop bucking?

MHFoundation Quarters 09-17-2012 01:14 PM

If you are confident you could safely do it, ride him through it. If he were mine or I was riding him, I'd take him to a big open field, ask for it and when he bucked I'd push him HARD and ride him through the bucks until he settled and cantered politely for awhile. Then I'd ask again, if he bucked again, repeat the process. He'll likely end up dog tired and won't forget that lesson.

DancingArabian 09-17-2012 01:16 PM

I'd check him for pain as something may be tolerable at walk/trot but not canter. I would also call a fitter and check the saddle fit and pad.
Posted via Mobile Device

krisfulc 09-17-2012 01:23 PM

My first thought was to figure out if your saddle is hitting him funny in the canter.

My second thought was to ride him through it if you can.

nikelodeon79 09-17-2012 01:24 PM

I agree with checking saddle fit and getting a vet out to check for soundness.

Something that's okay at a walk and tolerable at a trot might be unbearable at a canter.

JustWingIt 09-17-2012 01:25 PM

MH, I though of this to, unfortunately when I tried I nearly fell off! Usually I can stick a few bucks but an explosion of back cracking, back feet sky high, rodeo bucks, not so much :)

DA, I have had my saddle checked (when I first got it), and when he bucks his
ears are up and hes pulling forward like he want to keep going. And also he doesnt buck when i am riding in the ring so that makes me think that its doubtful that cantering hurts him.

Would lunging him out in a field accomplish anything?

MHFoundation Quarters 09-17-2012 01:26 PM

I would have suspected saddle fit or pain first but in the OP it was stated that he didn't buck in an arena when asked to canter. I still vote for ride him through it.

Do you know any sticky riders that would be willing to work him through it for you? Even just a one time deal might be enough to fix it.

Janna 09-17-2012 01:30 PM

Ride him through it or yank nose to hip and do hard circles when he goes to buck, then ask for canter and do it till you get the right answer (nice canter)

Plains Drifter 09-17-2012 01:31 PM

If he's not bucking at a canter in the arena, and your sure it's not saddle fit, could you work him in the arena prior to a trail ride until he's tired. Then take him out on the trail and see how he does. Sometimes horses need to put on their thinking caps and nothing like a wet saddle pad to make them think. Just my .02 worth.

JustWingIt 09-17-2012 01:33 PM

Hm its possible I could find someone, however the most sticky rider I know (barn manager, super nice and helpful, plus I've seen her ride the barns stud through trying to jump the outdoor arenas fence, then throwing a fit and bucking/rearing/galloping around for a good solid 30 minutes) is having knee surgery on Thursday and is going to be out for a good two months.