The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Age of mini? Picture of teeth added (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/age-mini-picture-teeth-added-137966/)

Wheatermay 09-17-2012 02:41 PM

Age of mini? Picture of teeth added

1 Attachment(s)
I just adopted a mini mare a few weeks ago. I am unsure of her age, but they think she was one or two. I looked at her teeth, and I would say two. I wanted to get everyone elses opinion. I figure I cant start training her to pull for another two or three years. (I heard mini's cant pull until they are three-correct me if my information is wrong)....

FeatheredFeet 09-18-2012 11:30 AM

Looks like very young teeth to me. Would be easier if you showed a side view of the teeth with the top and bottom teeth closed and together.

Have you any pictures of her?

Lizzie

FeatheredFeet 09-18-2012 11:55 AM

Found this for you.

How to tell a horses age by their teeth

Lizzie

Wheatermay 09-18-2012 11:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I can try to get some tomorrow.Thanks Lizzy! I do have pics! She is gaining weight really nicely! She didnt look skinny to me, but she's chunking up, and looks alot better. I wormed her immediately when she got here. And put her in with our tiny pony, and after only two weeks her back is rounding up! Other than that, she seems to be in great health! I didnt have a vet check her, bc the foster mom gave me her medical records with her. And she just had a examination and brought UTD on shots about a month before I got her. He (the vet) told them about one or two yrs old. I brought her home on Aug 31st, so I have had her for a little over two weeks. The first ones are from the 31st and the last one is from a few days ago..... boy she likes to graze shock:, lol... I think she'll need a grazing muzzle next spring.... Does she looks wormy still? I wormed her for tapeworm Zithermin(?) GOLD last Monday... And the roundworm dose on the 31st. BTW, before anyone attacks the foster mom, she did great! This little filly couldnt stand up when they got her.They saved her life and nursed her back to health! They did what they can and couldnt handle the expense anymore, bc the foster had become ill.

Wheatermay 09-18-2012 11:34 PM

Just realized she has a butterscotch treat stuck in her teeth on the top pic! HAHA! BTW, this is Emmylou!

Wheatermay 09-19-2012 12:06 AM

I'm going to say one for now (after re-researching my previous knowledge, lol) They are pretty small and white, and I am almost sure that she only and four top and four bottoms... That puts her around 8months to one year old... If anyone else disagrees, please feel free to correct me! :)

sommsama09 09-19-2012 01:39 AM

Bumping up for you, I love horses who have been given a second shot at life. Shes adorable, and quite young regardless of whether she is 1 or 2... Well done to you and her previous foster. :smile:

Wheatermay 09-19-2012 02:05 AM

Why thank you! They did a really good job at getting her used to people. She hadn't been handled. She is a people person now! She follows my son around everywhere, lol... poor thing, he runs nonstop. And if she does stop he turns around and hollers "Come Emmy!" in his cute two year old voice and she does, lol... She is halter trained pretty well, but if I get her out in the grass she immediately starts grazing. That's the only drawback with her, lol...

FeatheredFeet 09-19-2012 11:59 AM

Well Minis love to eat and will get fat if you let them. She still looks a bit wormy to me. When you worm her, make sure you do NOT use Quest. It is dangerous for Minis.

Keep us posted on Miss Emmylou.

Lizzie

Wheatermay 09-19-2012 01:22 PM

Ok thanks! I thought she did too. I wormed her with Ivermectin and pyrantel pomate (forgive my spelling). Should I just go ahead and give er another dose?