The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Flatwork and jumping critique (pictures) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/flatwork-jumping-critique-pictures-137969/)

SamBadger 09-17-2012 02:50 PM

Flatwork and jumping critique (pictures)

8 Attachment(s)
Sorry that this is not a lot to go by, but my laptop wiped every video I have:(
The photos with the green coat are from about 4-5 months ago and the ones with the blue jacket are from about a month ago.

Please can you give me any feedback on these pictures, just on me not the horses though. Not my horses either they belong to the riding school and one of the instructors.

Please don't hold back, i promise i won't be offended, thanks in advance:-)

blue eyed pony 09-17-2012 04:53 PM

Your toes are pointed out in every single one of those photos. I do it too, don't worry! Your hands are way too low and on the flat you seem to ride with pram hands. You could push more weight into your heels, especially at the canter, and you appear to grip with your lower leg at the canter and over fences (which will be the root of the heel thing).

All of these are things I do as well!

You might also be a little bit wonky in the saddle (off to one side??). I am hesitant to say anything about rein length because your position does not look quite solid enough for you to take a contact on the horse's mouth, but you may find that they are too long on other horses or as the jumps get higher.

Are you a nervous rider? You look petrified in the canter photo, and in most of the jumping photos.

I'm really jealous of your upper body, shoulders in particular. Mine roll forward, yours look awesome. You might lean forward a wee bit in the trot but then again if you're posting the trot that's the position you should have (am referring to the trot photo on the grey).

Overall you're not a bad rider and you're certainly someone I would allow to ride my gelding. He is quiet... most of the time... but he has his moments, so I don't let just anybody on his back.

SamBadger 09-17-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1687081)
Your toes are pointed out in every single one of those photos. I do it too, don't worry! Your hands are way too low and on the flat you seem to ride with pram hands. You could push more weight into your heels, especially at the canter, and you appear to grip with your lower leg at the canter and over fences (which will be the root of the heel thing).

All of these are things I do as well!

You might also be a little bit wonky in the saddle (off to one side??). I am hesitant to say anything about rein length because your position does not look quite solid enough for you to take a contact on the horse's mouth, but you may find that they are too long on other horses or as the jumps get higher.

Are you a nervous rider? You look petrified in the canter photo, and in most of the jumping photos.

I'm really jealous of your upper body, shoulders in particular. Mine roll forward, yours look awesome. You might lean forward a wee bit in the trot but then again if you're posting the trot that's the position you should have (am referring to the trot photo on the grey).

Overall you're not a bad rider and you're certainly someone I would allow to ride my gelding. He is quiet... most of the time... but he has his moments, so I don't let just anybody on his back.

Thank you for taking the time too look at this, i am a nervous rider, i love this horse to pieces but hes young and a bit unpredictable so sometimes i get a bit nervous when riding him. I had a lot of issues cantering and only just really got over them, but i pull faces when i canter because i concentrate and everyone says i look scared:lol:

I'm always getting moaned at for my toes haha, i can't seem to help sticking them out. But this was the biggest i'd ever jumped and i was quite nervous :oops:
My instructor and i have been trying to sort out the gripping when cantering and slowly its getting better these part few lessons so thats good:)

About the low hands though we were taught to ride with our hands low sometimes, like we're reading a magazine to show us that if we don't hang on the horses mouth they will go really forward and lovely, it works haha!

I've only been riding 2 years but feel like i've improved a lot recently especially with my confidence, but again thank you for taking the time to reply, i'll defiantly work on those issues:)

* please excuse any spelling mistakes i'm awful at typing on this iPad:lol:

blue eyed pony 09-17-2012 05:21 PM

I was initially taught that hand position but the coach I left late last year due to schedule difficulties kept yelling at me about it :P and if you look at any top-level dressage rider, their hands are about level with their belly button. But the low hands thing does have its uses as well - you will just need to be able to carry them a little higher as well, and no more pram hands!

You're really good for a rider who's only been riding 2 years... jeeze up until I got my lad (nearly 2 years ago now) I was dreadful, and I've pretty much been riding on and off my whole life! The toes are still a big issue for me, and my old coach used to say it wasn't actually that much of a problem until you start riding in spurs (for upper-level dressage, for example)... he has duck feet too but nobody can get a horse to go nicer than he does!!