The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Weird Heel Catching Issue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/weird-heel-catching-issue-137984/)

Poseidon 09-17-2012 05:22 PM

Weird Heel Catching Issue

So I have this weird issue where I manage to catch the front right corner of my boot heel on the top of my stirrup while riding. It's almost exclusively my left foot and is most common when I'm turbo-trotting or loping outside (once in a blue moon, it will happen at those gaits in an arena).

I have no idea how I'm doing this. Basically, my heel catches the top of my stirrup (inside edge), making my toes point straight down. I have do a bit of wiggling to get it back to normal and then it just happens again. I don't know if I'm holding my leg up enough so that my toes are barely touching bottom of my stirrup anymore or what. I've raised my stirrups and still have this problem (I assume unless I rode like a jockey.. :?)

I don't even know. :?

Wallaby 09-17-2012 05:54 PM

Could you have your foot too far into the stirrup?

I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem but that seems like maybe a possibility?

Poseidon 09-18-2012 06:35 PM

I need to take a picture of what happens. I tried to ask DrumRunner the other day and she couldn't visualize it either.

Wild Heart 09-18-2012 07:02 PM

I can't seem to visualize it either. Sounds to me that your foot is almost going completely through the stirrup. I think if you took some pictures we could all get a basic idea on what is going on.

Poseidon 09-26-2012 10:52 PM

Aha! I figured it out from the last time I rode. I had my stirrups set where I prefer them when walking around, relaxed, so when I would speed up, I end up relaxing my lower leg entirely and my feet kind of just do what they want. I jacked up my stirrups and we're all good. My knees are killing me though. ugggh.