The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   My horse is sunbleached? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/my-horse-sunbleached-138013/)

Pixi017 09-17-2012 10:43 PM

My horse is sunbleached?

I have a 4 year old TWH Gelding, his color is jet black, but he is so sun bleached that his color has became closer to a dark bay. What can I do to get his beautiful black coloring back? The only marking he has on his whole body is a very small white star.

Thanks!

texasgal 09-17-2012 10:45 PM

Wait until he sheds and grows a new coat then keep him out of the sun.

We'd love to see pics!

Welcome to the forum.

Pixi017 09-18-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 1687433)
Wait until he sheds and grows a new coat then keep him out of the sun.

We'd love to see pics!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks so much! I plan to have before and after pictures. (even if it takes a while to get the after shot.) :wink:

PunksTank 09-18-2012 01:02 AM

I've heard Paprika prevents bleaching, they also make other supplements at smart pak for black horses. You could try a UV protection fly sheet. I also think some fly sprays have sun block too. And yes, pics please!

Pixi017 09-18-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1687554)
I've heard Paprika prevents bleaching, they also make other supplements at smart pak for black horses. You could try a UV protection fly sheet. I also think some fly sprays have sun block too. And yes, pics please!

That's great to know because I am just about to buy fly spray! Thanks for the tips!

Kayty 09-18-2012 11:50 PM

I always keep a light cotton sheet on my horses through the high UV days in summer to prevent bleaching. This has the added benefit of keeping a dark horse cool, as the sun bounce off the white sheet instead of being absorbed by a dark coat.

Be careful with supplements - many of them are swabbable if you want to compete.