The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What's Up With These Reins? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/whats-up-these-reins-138108/)

poundinghooves 09-18-2012 06:44 PM

What's Up With These Reins?

2 Attachment(s)
There is probably a totally obvious answer to this :? but can you tell me how these reins attach to the bit? They're really nice but I can't figure out how to put them on a bit? They are reins, right?? :oops: Since they were given to me I've been trying to figure them out. The first pic is the top of them and the second pic is the bottom of them.

SorrelHorse 09-18-2012 06:47 PM

They are chicago screws. Get a screw driver (Or a butter knife) and unscrew them. The screw has two pieces, seperates, so then slip the bit in and put the screws back on.

poundinghooves 09-18-2012 07:01 PM

Makes sense! I've just never ran across them like this. I don't know if I'll end up using them since I like to be able to change my reins quickly and I barrel race so I mainly use barrel reins not split reins. I may just use them for an occasional pleasure show.

nikelodeon79 09-18-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poundinghooves (Post 1688437)
Makes sense! I've just never ran across them like this. I don't know if I'll end up using them since I like to be able to change my reins quickly and I barrel race so I mainly use barrel reins not split reins. I may just use them for an occasional pleasure show.

I always stick a bit of clear fingernail polish or locktite in the screw... I've had the screws come loose before and it's not fun at all...

poundinghooves 09-18-2012 07:08 PM

Thanks for the warning Nickelodeon79! That would be disastrous anytime but especially in the middle of a show or out in the open on a trail or something.

Roperchick 09-18-2012 07:32 PM

if you want them to come off fast you could always put clips on em. then have the clips attach to the it.

you lose a little contact with the bit but it makes it SOOO much easier to change em out...especially if your at a show, and your horse somehow manages to step on one and snap it walking into the class (still dont know how it happened...guess i was sleep walking haha) then you dont have to worry about unscrewing both and having to put a new pair on... just unclip both get another set and go.

nikelodeon79 09-19-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poundinghooves (Post 1688443)
Thanks for the warning Nickelodeon79! That would be disastrous anytime but especially in the middle of a show or out in the open on a trail or something.

Happened to my cousin when she was cantering through a field on my pony. She passed me while holding the loose rein up with a panicked look on her face. I yelled over to her to sit deep in her saddle and give a firm whoa. Thankfully the pony listened!
Posted via Mobile Device

Paintlover1965 09-19-2012 12:11 AM

My husband has lost one of his reins on several occasions due to the loosening of the Chicago screws. He was cantering in a small group and then all of a sudden oops, only one rein attached to the bit, the other dragging on the ground. Thank goodness he was never hurt as he has a great big sensible Canadian mare who stopped when he asked and proceeded to walk back so matter of factly to the barn with just the one rein for repairs to be made.

SorrelHorse 09-19-2012 12:50 AM

I have lost my bridle to Chicago screws a total of three times. First time was during a barrel run, my friends called it my "Charmayne James Manuever". Thankfully we managed to pull ourselves together and stay safe. The second time I had literally just stepped off my horse and then the bridle just fell off. Then finally, I was in the warmup ring for my working rancher class and the bit just...poof. Fell out of Selena's mouth. It's a good thing Selena is a very responsive horse and we were able to get stopped.

poundinghooves 09-19-2012 01:07 PM

I think I may sell them instead of keeping them, they sound like too much work and too much risk!