The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Bad idea to let horse's feet go more than 12 weeks? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bad-idea-let-horses-feet-go-138136/)

ShannonSevenfold 09-18-2012 10:02 PM

Bad idea to let horse's feet go more than 12 weeks?

I had the farrier trim my gelding yesterday while he was at the barn. He commented on the fact that his feet looked good and didn't really need a trim. However, according to the previous owner, it had been 12 weeks since his last trim, so I didn't want to let them go any longer. Though I do feel it is a bit of a waste to pay the farrier $35 to take like a quarter of an inch off. Should I let him go until he really needs a trim, or keep him on a regular 8 week schedule? He has a small (less than an inch) crack in one toe, but the farrier said it doesn't look like it will spread and should just grow out.

What do you guys think?

ArabianGrace 09-18-2012 10:11 PM

I see no issue in letting them go that long if they don't need to be trimmed. It's been 8 wks since my boys last trim and they look pretty much the same as after they were trimmed so no need to pay $20 for nothing.

calicokatt 09-18-2012 10:15 PM

I own an arab gelding who was only trimmed about every 12 weeks or so before I got him. The farrier (a respected shoer in our community) told the owner that his feet 'self trim' and chip off and didn't need to be done more often. He had several abscesses, and quite a lot of dead sole still clinging on, and we're still trying to fix the issues. So I would personally get a second opinion from another well respected farrier before I decided to let the hooves go for more than 8 weeks...

Kayty 09-18-2012 10:20 PM

It depends on the horse. My riding horse needs his done every 6 weeks with shoes on. The 2 year old can easily go 10 weeks.
My retired welshie hasn't been trimmed in a good 12 months! Her feet are tough as nails. My farrier has told me to let him know if they get a bit long or rough, but it wouldn't be fair of him to charge me $50 to file a bit to make them look prettier.

PunksTank 09-18-2012 11:30 PM

It depends on the horse, 12 weeks is on the long side. But it depends on the season, this season (in north america anyway) is when their winter coats grow in, their feet usually grow faster in this season.I'd be concerned about a potential nutritional deficiency if it takes that much more than 12 weeks to need a trim. But I supposed if the feet are actually healthy looking I wouldn't be concerned.

kassierae 09-19-2012 07:28 AM

My Shetland gets trimmed once a year, in spring. If you looked at her feet now they look the way they looked right after she was trimmed. Her diets fine, she's healthy as all.get out, and she's been this way for years. They just wear down beautifully, I guess. My gelding was every 12 week's ish, but then all of the sudden his feet decided that they were going to grow super fast. No diet change, no stress, nothing but maybe a little wet weather. By the end of 6 weeks he'd grown out so much toe he had a little long toe low heel going on, so I had shoes put on front. I've since pulled them, now his feet are back to normal but still not as nice as before yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 09-19-2012 08:40 AM

I am jelouse of all you who get to go a while in between trims. I have to do my old man's every 4 weeks. We tried 5 weeks this time, appt for next Tuesday, and they need done yesterday. So back to 4 weeks it is.

dee 09-19-2012 08:47 AM

It basically simply depends on the horse. I, too, had a shetland that really never needed her feet trimmed. She had never foundered, and the only reason we ever had her done was because she insisted on it - she got jealous of the other horses getting their "pedicures" and demanded some attention, too! Farrier never even had to have a lead rope on her - she would even pick her feet up before being asked - what an angel she was!

Our current bunch of five horses are a real mixed bag. One needs a trim ever 3 - 4 weeks. His feet are horrible - they grow lopsided - and will chip and crack if you stare at them too hard. The rest are fairly normal - my mare and her 2-year-old filly pretty much need it every 8 weeks in the growing season, but can go all winter without a trim with no problem.

Dead Rabbit 09-19-2012 09:33 AM

its $40 here for a farrier. fortuantly my friend i ride with is an old school farrier. he takes care of the horses feet for me. but they dont get trimmed but every 8 wks or so.....so far.

$100 for shoes all the way around every six wks is the schedule the local farrier wants.

Coconut Cruncher 09-19-2012 10:28 PM

I wish I could last 12 weeks. The old man needs his done every 4 weeks. Even 4 weeks is pushing it, by 5 weeks (I was experimenting) he had paddles and I cringed every time I saw him.