The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Down sides to Spanish Walk? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/down-sides-spanish-walk-138141/)

EthanQ 09-18-2012 11:42 PM

Down sides to Spanish Walk?

I recently have thought and even started training my gelding Dollar how to Spanish Walk while waiting for the farrier to visit for his trim. But, is there any down sides to teaching your horse this? I am starting out with the tapping on the legs and teaching him to life them, then going to do work on the weight shifting and rein lifting from the saddle. Will this backfire on me later on though? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks! I'd also love to see some pics of your horses doing it if they know how!

MidsummerFable 09-18-2012 11:45 PM

My horse did it one time when he got frustrated cause I was ground driving him and he couldn't see me.
But that was just a random thing and I have no experience with it really.

Kayty 09-18-2012 11:49 PM

A friend of mine taught her horse the Spanish Walk as a trick, unfortunately he now reverts to it everytime he wants a treat, or thinks whatever else he is being asked to do is too hard.
You also need to be careful, as you may wind up teaching the horse to strike - great way of snapping your femur in half.

Muppetgirl 09-18-2012 11:49 PM

I really don't know....however the farrier hated it when I taught one of the young horses to take a bow....darn horse would bow every time the farrier picked up his front feet from the front!!!:lol:

deserthorsewoman 09-18-2012 11:50 PM

Many moons ago I had my horses boarded at a place where they did Doma Vaquera.
They started tapping lightly with a dressage whip, then, from the saddle first a whip in each hand giving the command together with the rein aid, then eventually rein only. They said the hard part is to engage the hind end too, so the horse doesn't drag it.
How, they never said...
Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

boots 09-19-2012 12:20 AM

Other than what the others said, amusing but unintended consequenses... I can't think of anything.

EthanQ 09-19-2012 05:53 PM

Ok, I have also been told it can lead to them pawing, which he already does (when no one is watching lol) I am still on the fence one wether or not to continue.

I was planning on using a longewhip, and tapping the back of his fetlock, which is how I've always read to do it, but Is there any other way to do it without using the whip?

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanQ (Post 1689730)
Ok, I have also been told it can lead to them pawing, which he already does (when no one is watching lol) I am still on the fence one wether or not to continue.

I was planning on using a longewhip, and tapping the back of his fetlock, which is how I've always read to do it, but Is there any other way to do it without using the whip?

Just think of the whip as an extension of your arm. You can get whips that only have a small short tassel on the end which are very good for this kind of work, kind of like an enlarged dressage whip. Also I have seen sheep crops used, but they cut the big hook off and just leave the little hook on the end, that way you can use it to reach down and tickle the back of his fetlock.....hope that helped:-)

OwnedByAlli 09-19-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1688828)
I really don't know....however the farrier hated it when I taught one of the young horses to take a bow....darn horse would bow every time the farrier picked up his front feet from the front!!!:lol:

Same experience here haha been teaching alli to bow just as something to try, and so i don't have to find a big rock everytime i want to get on bareback. Shed done it properly only a few times. Farrier came and as soon as she got bored she tried to bow... One huge telling off and no more bowing lessons later, shel hopefully never think of doing that again! (Ive decided to learn to vault instaed haha)

As for spanish walk, its super flashy and cool looking, but i imgine it could encourage pawing, especially if treats are involved... Wouldn't want to bend down to put a bucket down for a horse and find a hoof flying towards my face... Perhaps its less likely to turn into impatient pawing if food isn't involved?

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli (Post 1689784)
Same experience here haha been teaching alli to bow just as something to try, and so i don't have to find a big rock everytime i want to get on bareback. Shed done it properly only a few times. Farrier came and as soon as she got bored she tried to bow... One huge telling off and no more bowing lessons later, shel hopefully never think of doing that again! (Ive decided to learn to vault instaed haha)

As for spanish walk, its super flashy and cool looking, but i imgine it could encourage pawing, especially if treats are involved... Wouldn't want to bend down to put a bucket down for a horse and find a hoof flying towards my face... Perhaps its less likely to turn into impatient pawing if food isn't involved?

I agree with this too. Don't use food and use very specific commands consistently so that the horse understands when to do it and when not to do it.
I'm sure I will be playing with my guy like that this winter when we are snowed in:lol: