The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   My next generation reiner. (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/my-next-generation-reiner-138147/)

Adam 09-18-2012 11:33 PM

My next generation reiner.

My 5 year old daughter frequently comes out to the barn during my lessons, and has shown interest in the horses and what is going on, but for the most part has been more interested in playing in the dirt over in the corner of the arena then anything else. :lol:
Well, tonight, after I had finished up working with Pearl my daughter Ravenna wanted to go for a ride! My trainer hands 'Venna up to me, and after I get her situated in front of me she instantly goes for the reins (sorry kiddo, that's next week's lesson lol). She settles for the saddle horn, and away we go, trotting across the indoor. After a few minutes, she asks me in an excited voice 'Dad, can we spin?' I had to think about it for a sec; I had never tried to cue a turn with a 5 year old basically in my lap, not to mention Pearl was still pretty hot from earlier. I looked down at my daughter and she had this excited / nervous look, and I decided what the hell.
Cued her in her 'bad' direction (thinking it would be my luck if Pearl decided to plus her turn for the first time tonite, with my 5 year old hanging from the saddle horn, legs flapping in the breeze screaming 'WhEEEEEEEEEE!!!' at the top of her lungs). God, I love well trained open horses! Pearl was quite the little lady. Just brought the reins over, pressed a bit with the right leg, and away we went! Ravenna still went 'WhEEEEEEEE!!!!!!' but didn't flap in the breeze, and when I handed her back to my trainer after a few minutes, she had that look I imagine a lot of parents see in their kids when they finally get bitten by the horse bug.
Look out world. Look out daddy's wallet! Here comes Ravenna. :-)

dee 09-19-2012 11:44 AM

I know that feeling. My mare is no reiner - just an old plug. However...I made the mistake of letting my 8-year-old granddaughter ride her in the playday arena this summer. Dancer was a good girl, and other than the occasional stop, she took good care of my granddaughter. All they really did was walk around the barrels and whatnot, but now granddaughter is ready to GO GO GO!!!

MHFoundation Quarters 09-19-2012 12:00 PM

That's awesome Adam! Having your kiddo for a riding buddy is really fun. My daughter (she's 7) rides with me and it's great. She has all but taken over my retired reining mare and my warmblood. She thinks she is ready to start jumping, which she might be on the old packer but I am sooooo not ready for that.

I already have the numbers rolling through my head too, show clothes, new saddles, more horses...and the thought of being the show mom instead of riding myself, ugh.

nrhareiner 09-19-2012 01:50 PM

With the lead like reining for the youngens you are seelign quiet bit more little kids getting into it. My trainers daughter just turned 5 this past summer and now has her first reiner. She has been doing lead line for the past 3-4 years and it now moving up to short sturups. She loves it. I am sure your daughter will love it the more she does it.

Adam 09-19-2012 03:32 PM

It will be interesting to see what she does during my upcoming lessons! I guess I should of seen this coming, she is always pretending to be on a horse, and running 'patterns' on one side of the barn to pass the time while we are there (the slides have been pretty rough on her boots LOL) I'll take pictures next time :)