The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Recent Purchase (Paint Gelding) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-recent-purchase-paint-gelding-138162/)

ShannonSevenfold 09-19-2012 02:22 AM

Critique My Recent Purchase (Paint Gelding)

3 Attachment(s)
I'd love to get opinions on my guy. I'll love him no matter what, so don't be afraid to be harsh. He needs work on his topline as he hasn't been ridden for 6+ months. And he's standing a little underneath himself in the one picture; he doesn't normally do that. He was scratching. These aren't the best pictures as I don't have any "confo" shots, but do the best you can. Haha I'll try to get some good shots tomorrow.

I plan to use him mostly for trail riding and maybe some low-level hunter/jumper. He was trained for H/J before he fractured his hip 3 years ago. He has healed up from it wonderfully and was okay-ed by the vet for normal riding. TIA!

lilruffian 09-19-2012 11:13 AM

Shoulder angle isnt bad
Nice depth of girth
Hard to really judge his legs, but the fronts look ok. Hoof angle could be a bit mre upright
He appears slightly roached in the back
Again, hard to say about the back legs. He looks sickle-hocked in the one photo but then again it could also be the way he is standing

WesternTale 09-19-2012 03:10 PM

sickle hocks, bum high, splay footed and needs muscle on his neck. (judging from the pictures)
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-19-2012 03:48 PM

Don't like those pics for a critique, but I did notice he appears to be a medicine hat.

tinyliny 09-19-2012 04:36 PM

Other than saying he is cute, those pictures will not do at all for confo critique and are unfair to him. I do not think one can say he is sickle hocked when he is in that stretching stance, kind of rolled back on his hind. Could be, but only a squared up photo can be accurate to that.

ShannonSevenfold 09-19-2012 07:41 PM

He is a medicine hat. :) I tried to take some pictures today, but I didn't have any help so they didn't turn out very good. :/

ShannonSevenfold 09-19-2012 07:42 PM

double post

Coconut Cruncher 09-19-2012 09:53 PM

I don't think he's roached, I think he just doesn't have any muscling or topline. With some feed and correct work he should come good.

But yes, as for comformation critique, the pictures are horrible :)
I did enjoy looking at his adorable face though!

ShannonSevenfold 09-19-2012 09:59 PM

See, there's some discrepency around the barn as far as his weight goes. I, as well as the BM and one of my friends thinks he should gain 50 pounds or so. But then a bunch of people say he's perfect. I could be biased because this is my first non-fat-ass-quarter horse. The vet said his weight is perfect, he just needs muscle.

Coconut Cruncher 09-19-2012 10:04 PM

His weight isn't bad, no, but if you intend to work him and build muscle, he'll need extra weight to stay in top form otherwise he'll end up slightly ribby (although, nothing horrible about that)