The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lets talk feeds. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lets-talk-feeds-138164/)

Canteringleap 09-19-2012 02:53 AM

Lets talk feeds.

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking into the diet of my tb, and I'm curious to see what everyone else feeds their own horses on a regular basis (Hard feed)
What do you feed/why? Do you feed any supplements/home supplements such as garlic salt etc.

I'm currently feeding -
Maximize oat free (Weight gain/ finishing it off, its spring!)
Canola oil (for his coat, and weight)
Sunflower seeds
Palamountain (Joint supplement, to relieve stiffness)
Mageze (fed once a week for calming, He is anxious and this helps hugely, only feeding through spring)
Chaff

What's in your feed?

Spotted 09-19-2012 03:01 AM

Is he under weight ?

Canteringleap 09-19-2012 04:21 AM

He's not now no, Hence why I'm just finishing off whats left in the bag of feed. I had to feed the things to keep weight on as he loses weight during winter.

Spotted 09-19-2012 04:27 AM

I feed hay either free choice or 2x/day.
For weight gain I use soaked beet pulp, normally cheap, not sure about your area. very good for them and keeps them warm in the winter, as it stays in their colon for up to 3 days.
I have a mare that is a little arthritic, so I give her glucosamine.
I have recently started using slow feed hay bags as well and that is going really good. I have alot of ideas for feeding that have worked really well.

Garlic is very good for horses. Also apple cider vinagar

Spotted 09-19-2012 04:40 AM

also give free choice trace mineral salt. The hay is normaly timothy,brome,alfalfa. plus they get extra treats. Carrots, crunchies, bread.

Jore 09-19-2012 02:45 PM

I feed my mare: 1 scoop (not sure how many quartz but my instructor uses it for feed) of Evolution Elite, 1/4 cup rice bran oil and two scoops of Recovery EQ in the morning and another scoop of Elite at night. She has access to a trace mineral block in her stall, with hay whenever she's confined but she is usually outside 24/7. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-19-2012 02:48 PM

I don't know how much help my information will be since you're in NZ and I'm in the US, but my TB gets 2 quarts of Blue Seal Trotter twice a day, along with as much hay as he'll willingly eat.

There's a mineral block out in the pasture for my 3 horses, and it gets replaced when needed.

He gets nothing else and has managed to keep weight on not just in the summer, but also during the winter while unblanketed.

I believe people tend to overthink the whole feeding/supplement thing. I like the KISS method. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

MAG1723 09-19-2012 07:54 PM

I feed my 24 yr old Quarter Horse:

-Sweet feed
-Crunch
-Canola Oil
and sometimes Bute because he can get really stiff and sore from his arthritis
- and hay:)

Foxtail Ranch 09-19-2012 08:00 PM

Grass in summer, hay in winter and a local supplement that complements the grass in our area plus 1/2 cup whole flax seed daily. The flax seed makes their coats and hooves really healthy, shiny, strong
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 09-19-2012 09:43 PM

My horse is an easy keeper. He gets-

AM
10 oz Triple Crown 30% Supplement
6 oz Beet pulp shreds

PM
10 oz Triple Crown 30% Supplement
2 oz flax seed
ProBios
MSM
Succeed

He also gets ~20 lbs of hay split into 3 feedings and ~1.5 lbs of alfalfa cubes in his Amazing Graze about every other day when I'm there.