The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cowboy Mounted Shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/)
-   -   What's your draw time? (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/whats-your-draw-time-138176/)

Horse racer 09-19-2012 10:58 AM

What's your draw time?

I was practicing my quick draws the other night and the fastest I drew and was level and aiming at my target was 0.36 seconds but I was averaging out around 0.44 seconds. I've never done quick draws before is this good? What's yalls time with quick draws?

Joe4d 09-19-2012 01:03 PM

I am not that great, but when I was shooting regulary in USPSA, I could get a A zone center mass hit at seven yards in about .9 . Thats reacting to the buzzer and using a shot timer. Thats also with full power live ammo and shooting from index, IE both hands on guns and about half extension.

nrhareiner 09-19-2012 01:53 PM

No not really you whould be able to get out an aimed a lot faster then that. When you practrice brake it down into stages. Slow steady and smooth is the key. Smooth is fast and fast is smooth so if you can not be smooth you will never be fast.

Horse racer 09-19-2012 03:08 PM

So how fast is a "good quick draw"? just drawing and leveling without shooting...

nrhareiner 09-19-2012 03:37 PM

I would think anything under 10 sec would be fairly good. The more you pracitice the better you will get. Again brake it down and only work on parts.

I can pull a Concealed carry faster then what a person can cover 15-20 feet.

Horse racer 09-19-2012 06:10 PM

10 seconds or 0.10 seconds?

Haha I always make the joke with my parents, "when I turn 21 most men would go to the bar to celebrate being legal to drink and drink the night away. Me, I'm going to get my concealed weapons permit!" haha :lol:

nrhareiner 09-19-2012 07:10 PM

I have never bothered to time myself but just set a spot and mark off 20 feet from that spot and see how long it takes for you to run that distance. I can have my gun out of the holster and 2 shots fired center mass before you can cover that distance.