The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my draft cross? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-draft-cross-138199/)

Magaidh 09-19-2012 02:49 PM

Critique my draft cross?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I'm curious as to what you think of this boy's conformation.
He is 16.2-ish, Percheron crossed with Oldenburg. Turning gray.
First, a shot from the week after I got him last spring (age of nine months). Followed by a shot of him a month after his second birthday.

I don't have any big competition goals for him, simply an all-round horse to dabble in low level competition and just have fun.

But would like to get some insight into how he's put together, as I am not an expert in conformation by any means.

Thanks!

WesternTale 09-19-2012 02:59 PM

looks cow hocked in the back. Otherwise, nice horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 09-19-2012 08:33 PM

Difficult to say until he has completely finished growing.
Right now he appears to have a good shoulder on him
I like his neck set as well
Front legs look solid with big knees, which lead me to believe he will be a solidly built fellow.
Pasterns are just a tad long and he is set back on them
Back is so far of a good length
Very sharp angle to his croup
Gives me the impression that he might be posty in the hind legs, but it is difficult to say without him standing square. the same goes for the cowhocks

Magaidh 09-19-2012 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the insight guys.
I know what you mean about growing. It's unbelievable how much he's changed already in the past year and a half.

What would the sharp croup angle mean for him?

I will have to get some further conformation shots of him. I don't think this one is directly side-on. Here's another, and I'll grab some front/back shots next time I'm out at the barn...

Coconut Cruncher 09-19-2012 11:51 PM

A steep croup can just mean the horses stride is shorter than what it could be.
Doesn't hinder the horse at all, and they make able jumpers.

I'm so very happy at how well he's grown and developed as a horse compared to his yearling picture. OH, how worried I was when I first saw it, he's certainly become magnificent.

His hoof angle doesn't match that of his pasterns, and because the hoof is more sloped, it's causing the pasterns to drop. This is what is giving the look of 'longer pasterns'. They aren't in fact long, they've just dropped.

Well, I suppose they are long if you compare them to that of some quarter horses ;) BUT, he isn't a qh is he!

Magaidh 09-20-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coconut Cruncher (Post 1690263)
His hoof angle doesn't match that of his pasterns, and because the hoof is more sloped, it's causing the pasterns to drop. This is what is giving the look of 'longer pasterns'. They aren't in fact long, they've just dropped.

Well, I suppose they are long if you compare them to that of some quarter horses ;) BUT, he isn't a qh is he!

Though he is due for a trim, I think the angle in the image is a bit deceiving, as his hoof/pastern angles are pretty consistent in person. And yes, in comparison, his pasterns ARE long next to the littler horses! I have to keep reminding myself that he just turned 2 in August and has much more growth and development ahead of him...I think he'll definitely grow over 17 hands in height eventually, as both his parents were 17+.

Thanks for your input. :)

Coconut Cruncher 09-20-2012 12:42 AM

Yes, I can see him getting over 17hh.
And I should have made my answer more clear, although his angles are out (in the picture that could be deceiving!) it is only by a tiny amount that may, or may not, have any effect on how low his pasterns have dropped.

He's such a nice looking horse though, I'm incredibly jealous!

CallaHorse 09-21-2012 04:55 PM

The first thing I noticed are his great legs. Short canons, long forearms/gaskins generally make for a solid, strong sport horse, provided there is good muscling in the upper legs. Of course they are just a little skinny now because he is young, but with training they will no doubt become one of his best features.
Looks to me like the hindquarters will also round out with age and training (structurally they look good to me).
From the 9-mo photo to the 2-yr photo I can see that he grew from downhill build to about even/slightly uphill, which is very encouraging and I suspect that trend will continue a little further in the next couple years. This combined with a great neck angle and shoulder angle tell me he will have no trouble collecting/shifting his weight back under saddle... and I bet his gaits will be very smooth.

What a great find; I am certain he will excel at whatever you throw at him! I bet he'd be an especially powerful force in cross-country; at 17+hh, what a stride he'll have!

Magaidh 09-23-2012 10:30 AM

Thanks for the breakdown Calla! He has incredibly powerful gaits already, completely groundeating canter and a gorgeous trot when he feels like doing it. His biggest downfall is that he is LAZY and very laid-back. I'm hoping that when I begin to lightly ride him next year I can give him enough incentive to keep him moving forward.

Also...he is very uncareful and unconcerned when it comes to 'jumping' which worries me. He'll knock over 1' cavaletti. Perhaps he just doesn't take it seriously...?

Taffy Clayton 09-23-2012 11:01 AM

My, did he grow up nice! I would put him in my barn forever.