The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   How would you approach this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/how-would-you-approach-138215/)

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 07:01 PM

How would you approach this?

I recently moved to my old/new barn boarding facility. It has an indoor arena with good footing. The owner is pretty good, has good hay, and is fair to his boarders.

When I got there, I noticed that one horse was still in the barn during turnout time. I asked the girl who worked there if the horse was sore/lame and that's why he had to stay in. She said no, that the young girl that owns him does not want him turned out. Ok. It's beautiful outside and winter is approaching.
This horse is big, a QH/Perch cross I believe. He's overweight, he is getting 7 flakes of hay a day and he is just standing in the barn all day. He is only walked in the arena occasionally. Just for the sake of adding this, he was also wearing a quilted stable blanket in the barn.....it's summer here!

The horses are also not turned out together, so no worries of them kicking each other etc.

I'm feeling kind of bad for this horse. Wouldn't you? How would you encourage this young lady to let her horse out to stretch his legs and get some fresh air?

I was told that the girl also takes her halter and lead rope home so no one can turn him out.....I have been away from this barn for a while and don't know of any occurrences that would prevent this girl from giving her pal a bit of freedom.

I was thinking of asking her if she would want to ride out with me one day soon before the snow flys......I want to be encouraging.....

Also, I don't want to fly to conclusions here, she may have a legitimate reason for keeping him in. The girls working at the barn said he's not sore or lame.

smrobs 09-19-2012 07:09 PM

It's good that you worry about the horse but, unfortunately, it's really not anybody's business what she does with her own horse providing that he's still being well cared for. There might be some underlying reason for the horse being kept inside and not turned out such as IR or Cushings (which are not uncommon in draft crosses) where he can't have green grass. There may be some other really good reason that he's kept in, you just never know.

I encourage you to ask her if she wants to ride with you, if for no other reason than to make a new horse friend at the barn where you'll have your horse. One can never have too many good horsey friends. If you hit it off and find her company agreeable, you might just ask her one of these days without making it sound accusatory.

Joe4d 09-19-2012 07:11 PM

not really any of your business.

Delfina 09-19-2012 07:11 PM

You don't know for sure why he isn't allowed outside. He could very well be on stall rest at a Vet's instructions and his owner just said "he needs to stay inside" to the employees and left it at that.

Or her horse may run through fences making it un-safe for him to be outside. I have a horse that picks fights OVER the fence. If my BO wasn't willing to work with me and move all the other horses to different turnouts so he shares a fenceline with nobody, he'd still be on stall rest!

It's HER horse and the care of HER horse is between her and the BO.

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 07:31 PM

Ok, um I know it's none of my business thank you very much, I was hoping someone might know of reasons why, that's why I said I was not certain of why he stays in and that she might have a legitimate reason for it. I was only going by what I was told. The horse looks really well cared for, overweight but healthy enough from a visual. Really I was just curious as to why this seemingly healthy horse may be kept in, over fed and under exercised. I was trying to think of ways to befriend this person, not judge her. And yes, in a way it might seem that I'm judging, but I'm not throwing around insults about this person.
Yes, I will ask her if she wants to ride out. I'm not going to bother her, nor am I going to complain to the BO, he's an old friend and he sees what's going on.

I have forgotten who posted it, but yes Cushings or some other condition may be the concern. Thanks for the insightfulness.

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1689826)
You don't know for sure why he isn't allowed outside. He could very well be on stall rest at a Vet's instructions and his owner just said "he needs to stay inside" to the employees and left it at that.

Or her horse may run through fences making it un-safe for him to be outside. I have a horse that picks fights OVER the fence. If my BO wasn't willing to work with me and move all the other horses to different turnouts so he shares a fenceline with nobody, he'd still be on stall rest!

It's HER horse and the care of HER horse is between her and the BO.

You're right, it is between her and the BO. I don't want to get involved, I was just asking if anyone might know why someone might do this......

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1689822)
It's good that you worry about the horse but, unfortunately, it's really not anybody's business what she does with her own horse providing that he's still being well cared for. There might be some underlying reason for the horse being kept inside and not turned out such as IR or Cushings (which are not uncommon in draft crosses) where he can't have green grass. There may be some other really good reason that he's kept in, you just never know.

I encourage you to ask her if she wants to ride with you, if for no other reason than to make a new horse friend at the barn where you'll have your horse. One can never have too many good horsey friends. If you hit it off and find her company agreeable, you might just ask her one of these days without making it sound accusatory.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer that is productive. And yes it's none of my business and I wasn't going to make it my business. I was just wondering if anyone knows of why someone would keep a horse in 24/7.

JustDressageIt 09-19-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1689807)

I'm feeling kind of bad for this horse. Wouldn't you? How would you encourage this young lady to let her horse out to stretch his legs and get some fresh air?

Also, I don't want to fly to conclusions here, she may have a legitimate reason for keeping him in. The girls working at the barn said he's not sore or lame.

This is what you asked.. To which people replied. You didn't ask if there were any "unseen" circumstances that would prevent a horse from being t/o.

I would be upset if a boarder asked me why I chose to do certain things with my horse... If I've made arrangements with my BO, that's between me and them.

To answer your current question about whether there are extenuating circumstances that a horse would be kept in for... Yes. PurpsTank's horse is being kept in a good portion right now due to allergic reactions to bug bites. A horse may be recovering from a condition or treatment, or may be kept in to heal from an injury per the vet; not all injuries are perceptible at the walk, or may require a lengthy stall rest period even past when the horse would no longer appear lame - such as with suspensory issues.
There are a zillion "legitimate" reasons as to why a horse may be kept in.
The owner may simply prefer to not turn a horse out. Though I don't agree with it, it would be none of my business to butt in.

It's nice of you to offer to ride with the owner, but I would suggest avoiding the turn out topic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 09-19-2012 09:16 PM

Oh yeah, I'm not going to get in her business, it was just a passing casual remark as 'oh, why does this guy stay in, is he hurt' and quite frankly it is my business to a certain degree as I work at the barn 4 mornings a week....if you had a horse that needed to stay in, wouldn't you inform the BO and the staff? In this case the BO has no idea why the girl needs this horse in. Didn't really think I needed to get into this much detail.

And there could be legitimate reasons, and there probably is. If I find out, I will let you know.

Don't you think it's odd to keep a horse penned up in his stall 24/7 at a boarding facility and not inform the staff as to why? If it is a medical condition, don't you think it's prudent to tell the people who take care of your horse.

That's the whole scoop. Should have just written it all down to begin with.

JustDressageIt 09-19-2012 09:21 PM

Up to her. None of our business to know either, and I'm not sure it's prudent to share such information about a horse being boarded at the barn you work for, if you do find out the reason.
Posted via Mobile Device