The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Final adult size of a mini? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/final-adult-size-mini-138243/)

Wheatermay 09-19-2012 11:07 PM

Final adult size of a mini?

Ok, I've played this game before, lol... it's always a guessing game. But my mini is about a year old (looking at her teeth), and she is already 34.5 inches at he wither (didnt know at the time I was supposed to measure to te last mane hair).... She is not registered. If she gets much bigger than that is she still considered a miniature horse? If she's already tat tall at one year, any guesses on her final size? It wont hurt my feelings if she gets bigger. I am actually a little excited that she might get about thirteen hands maybe? Probably not, lol... When are mini's at their full adult height? Same as a big horse?

fanch 10-14-2012 03:32 PM

A miniature horse is any animal 38" or under at the last hair on the mane. From my experience, minis do most of their growing in the first 18 months of life but may continue to grow slowly until their around 5 years of age. For example, I bought a horse at the age of 19 months and he was 31.5 inches at the last mane hair. He was permanently registered at 5 at 32.5 inches. I dont think you have to worry about her outgrowing her "mininess"

Wheatermay 10-16-2012 11:56 AM

She is just too freaking cute! LOL

BoldComic 10-18-2012 04:11 PM

My guess is she'll end up around 36". She'll be considered a class B but still a mini. I've got a 36" mare who is all legs. Hoping she'll be a good cart horse.

WickedNag 10-18-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanch (Post 1718923)
A miniature horse is any animal 38" or under at the last hair on the mane. From my experience, minis do most of their growing in the first 18 months of life but may continue to grow slowly until their around 5 years of age. For example, I bought a horse at the age of 19 months and he was 31.5 inches at the last mane hair. He was permanently registered at 5 at 32.5 inches. I dont think you have to worry about her outgrowing her "mininess"

Not correct... a mini is a horse and not a pony and ponies can be under 38" and not be a mini horse. AMHA the permanent registration papers are given at the age of 5 with the AMHR they are given at the age of 3.

Lot of knowledge from my best friend who just won two National Championships 2x top 5 and 4x top ten in her first year at the Mini Nationals in Tulsa OK this year :-)

WickedNag 10-18-2012 08:54 PM

In talking to Kelly the registries are no longer accepting any horses in them just because of size either. They are now closed registries.

Wheatermay 10-21-2012 03:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well we have a black pony. She is very round and stocky. Emmy (the mini) looks like a miniature version of a horse. Very dainty feet, and head. Can I get her registered with a blood test? Any one know? Here she is btw! I bought the bareback pad for my son, he's two. But next year I'm doing to start cart training.

Wheatermay 10-21-2012 03:33 PM

She has a puggy belly, but has been wormed by various wormers.... so I guess she is just getting fat. Which is ok with me for winter... she was a rescue. She was so starved when she was rescued she couldnt stand. I got her from the fosters and she was still putting on weight. I think she looks pretty good now. Her back is still a little skinny, compared to the pony, but her backbone isnt visible anymore. :)

LizNicole520 10-26-2012 06:37 PM

I saw that you're in West Virginia. If you like I can message you the name of a larger Mini Breeder in your area who has a STUNNING stallion and great horses and can do a little guiding for you and your mini :)

FeatheredFeet 10-26-2012 08:47 PM

If she's not pregnant, she surely is wormy. Has she been tested for pregnancy? Whatever you do, don't breed her. Minis are fetching as low as $2 and $3 at auction now. Hundreds and thousands of unwanted Minis, everywhere.

Lizzie