The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Are YOU raising Your rates? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/you-raising-your-rates-138291/)

GhostwindAppaloosa 09-20-2012 01:57 PM

Are YOU raising Your rates?

With the recent drought.. our regular hay prices of about 2.50-3.50 a bale are now between 10-14 a bale. These bales advertised at 50-60lbs are in reality (we weigh them every time we buy) 30-40 lbs.

So lets be optimistic here and say they are 40 lbs .. for 10 a bale..

means we are paying .25 cents a lb. We offer 15 lbs a day to our boarders.. for a total of 112 a month for hay now vs previous .10 lb for 45.00 a month...

We are still currently operating on hay we personally made.. which did cost us more this year as we didnt get as much off our land, but are going to have to find hay very soon here...

we charge 250 a month for board which is the going rate in our area. But 40 minutes away it is 500-600 a month (bigger city)

We really need to be at about 300 a month to cover costs with increased hay... but hate to have to raise it so much...

What are you doing with the hay crisis.

Speed Racer 09-20-2012 02:12 PM

Ghost, I don't board anymore (thank God), but I think raising your rates is something you're going to have to do if you want to be able to continue to give the quality care you do now.

$300 a month isn't outrageous, especially since your hay prices are at the very least 3 times what they were a year ago. If your boarders think you should eat that cost, they're not being realistic and I challenge them to find anywhere else cheaper.

HorseMom1025 09-20-2012 02:15 PM

Our board went up $20 per month due to rising feed costs. Our BO sent us all a very nice email explaining how prices had changed and giving us a 30 day notice of the increase.

I thought it was a reasonable increase (based on the numbers) and was just happy it wasn't more.

If you have reasonable boarders, they will understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 09-20-2012 02:22 PM

tell your boards what is going on so they do not think you are taken advantage of them

busysmurf 09-20-2012 02:56 PM

There seems to be a lot of mis understanding between those who buy/provide the individual items horses need (BO's & those that keep horses at home) vs. those that pay a lump sum (boarders).

$300 a month isn't unreasonable! Maybe to prevent any backlash, you could provide them with a breakdown of what exactly it takes to take care of their horses properly (kind of like what you did here). I'm sure most boarders aren't aware of ALL the costs involved, and if you gave them something tells it like it actually is, they'd be less inclined to start complaining.

Just a thought.

GhostwindAppaloosa 09-20-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1690918)
There seems to be a lot of mis understanding between those who buy/provide the individual items horses need (BO's & those that keep horses at home) vs. those that pay a lump sum (boarders).

$300 a month isn't unreasonable! Maybe to prevent any backlash, you could provide them with a breakdown of what exactly it takes to take care of their horses properly (kind of like what you did here). I'm sure most boarders aren't aware of ALL the costs involved, and if you gave them something tells it like it actually is, they'd be less inclined to start complaining.

Just a thought.

I think if they saw how little we make off of boarding they'd think I was lying to them on what costs are involved! LMAO! because no one in their right mind would work for that little.

I think we are going to raise current boarders 25 a month and new incoming will be 300 to give a "loyalty" discount.. and hopefully prices come down by the time we ahve to buy. If they dont i'll just have to do another breakdown for boarders. I cant lose money.

Speed Racer 09-20-2012 03:33 PM

Busy, if a BO broke down every single cost that went into board, I think it might overwhelm some people. :wink:

The people who complain the loudest about board prices going up are the ones who have no real clue what that cost represents. Even if you show it to them in black and white, some are still going to whinge and think the BO is getting rich. :?

Didn't we just have a thread by some disgruntled boarder thinking the drought was made up, and that hay couldn't POSSIBLY cost that much?

My horses are at home, and I know all too well how much feed has gone up in the last 6 months. My hay prices have remained stable, but for how much longer? My hay provider only got 2 cuttings this years, versus 4 cuttings last year. Now I'm no Mensa candidate, but it stands to reason that if there will be less hay to buy it's also going to cost more, because the diesel to run the tractor and baler went up, as did all the other haying supply costs.

JustDressageIt 09-20-2012 03:50 PM

There is no way for you to NOT raise rates without putting yourself out!! Your loyalty discount is a good idea and I'm sure your current boarders will appreciate it. Unfortunately it's the reality of the situation... They would feel the same effects of price change if they were keeping horses at home, how would it be fair for YOU to eat the cost?
Maybe, if hay rates go down again, you can lower rates again, but do not make that guarantee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 09-20-2012 03:57 PM

I would go else where to find your hay. Thats a crazy price. your better off to take a trailer out of your area to get hay. Im paying $50.oo for 1300 lbs most hay around is going cheaper, but this is right across the road from us. I also use slow feeders so they can't pig out. the hay lasts much longer and they still get the required amount. paying 10 for a square is mental. Also maybe cubes is a better option. I get 700kg for $180.00 but you know exactly how much they are getting and its excellent quality. Maybe a road trip would be a benifit. I don't think it costs any where near $300.00 to feed a horse for a month.

Speed Racer 09-20-2012 04:02 PM

Spotted, where do you suggest she GO? She'd have to go pretty far out if she's in one of the drought stricken areas, and how would that be cost effective? The drought areas are trucking hay in from other places.

You're in Alberta, so I don't think you have a clue how devastating this drought has been to the southwestern US.

Plus, if you don't think the price of all foodstuffs, including cubes, is going to go up, you don't have a very good grasp of the situation.