The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel Racer Build? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racer-build-138325/)

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-20-2012 08:10 PM

Barrel Racer Build?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi :)
How does Jakie here look?
Does he have a good build for barrel racing??
I was looking through some posts, and got a lil' curious about him.
Thanks!

BarrelracingArabian 09-20-2012 08:43 PM

Looks sore.... but his back looks nice and short, looks like he has a decent rear end that could get even better with more muscling, his neck looks a bit short tied to a fairly larg but cute head, i personally would like to see a bit more bone with his legs but that is about all i could tell you im still learning confo myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 09-21-2012 12:41 AM

Are his hooves pink in the last photo?

DrumRunner 09-21-2012 01:09 AM

I'm on my phone and can't see the pictures as big as I would like butI'll just go off of that.. His back is a little long, not too bad but if you don't watch it and properly muscle that area and check for problems you could have problems down the road..His neck does tie in a little funky but over all I don't think he's built badly..He'll look better with more muscling and work.. The biggest thing for him is if he has the mindset for barrels, it's a lot of stress mentally and physically.. What level of competition are you looking to get into?

BarrelRacer67 09-21-2012 01:26 PM

I don't know about his confo but I love the pink hooves!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-22-2012 12:02 AM

haha!
Thanks everyone!
Yeah I think he's pretty sore, still getting used to the rocky ground up here (he's not shod...) That's something that worries me a lot, I'm not too good about telling how he's feeling yet....

And yes his hooves are pink! XP My little sister and her friend had some pink hoof paint... and well you can guess how that went down ;P He was very patient for them :)

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-22-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1691613)
What level of competition are you looking to get into?

Oh, and not anything giant. I'm just hoping to do some just-for-fun stuff in 4-H, but I am trying to work to get a decent placing. :) And I guess we'll see how it goes from there... I'm very new to competition, and since he's still young(-er), I have a bit of time to try things out and see what we both like. (: I'm not planning on going into it professionally or anything though, no worries. :P

beau159 09-25-2012 05:07 PM

Would I pick him for the next national finals rodeo horse? Nope.

Does he look that bad? Nope.

He does look a little "odd pieces put together" in that his long back makes his short neck look shorter, he's very slightly cow-hocked in back (very slightly) and a little splayed on his front legs. I would like to see more roundness and muscling on his hindquarters and hocks set a little lower to the ground. Shoulders are steep in comparison to this hindquarters. And also lose some weight and get in shape. He's got a belly in the last picture.

But he has a very nice soft face and soft eye. His girth is positioned well. And overall he looks "okay".

So as long as you give him proper conditioning, proper nutrition, and regular vet care to that his body can handle the stress of doing barrels, he'll probably be fine. It's mostly a matter of if his mind can handle the stress and if he has the heart to do it.

Runninghot88 09-26-2012 05:50 PM

In my opinion it doesn't really matter about confirmation as long as he enjoys his job :) I know people who have had horses with terrible confirmation but have one over $100,000 at the high levels bc her horse loved his job :) Good luck in your future adventures!!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-26-2012 08:10 PM

Conformation does matter in the long run as a badly conformed horse in the long run will most likely end up with more health problems if they aren't conditioned and maintained correctly. Yes a badly conformed horse can run and win but at a cost usually. This boy looks like he will do fairly well at local shows especially if he is started, conditioned and maintained correctly.
Good luck TNC :)
Posted via Mobile Device