The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scabs on back leg, not on heel. Mud Fever? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scabs-back-leg-not-heel-mud-138326/)

HighonEquine 09-20-2012 09:14 PM

Scabs on back leg, not on heel. Mud Fever?

He has gotten mud fever before, but I have only ever seen it on his heel. These scabs start at the top of his fetlock and travel up all the way to his hock. Its sticking to the inside of the leg. Its not one single strip of scabs, but just spots that go all the way up to the hock.

I left a message for the vet, hasn't called me back just yet. Thought I'd as a question on here.

At the moment I'm just spraying it with Triodine and scrubbing them with my fingers. So far he isn't supper sensitive about it and I'm not being gentle at all. So I'm not so sure this is Mud Fever.. I can't think of what else it could possibly be.

Any Ideas?

cowgirlnay 09-21-2012 03:01 PM

Are his legs white by chance? Scratches is a common problem in horses (mostly on the white part of their leg). If this is the case, there are a bunch of different treatment options, it's best to start out by having your vet check it out...I can let you know how we treated our horse...If his legs aren't white at all, I'm not sure, and would be best to have it checked out!

poppy1356 09-21-2012 03:15 PM

Scratches is mud fever, many different names. Is he by chance getting pee on his legs? It is more common in females but I have seen geldings that are messy when they pee and it gets on their legs. This can cause irritation that will sometimes come about is scabs.

Also bugs, the bites can cause bloody scabs.

Any pictures?

cowgirlnay 09-21-2012 03:23 PM

Oh thanks, I actually didn't know that! And know that you mention it, my gelding does scab up on his back legs from pee. They aren't what I would call actual scabs though, they flake off when you pick at them....Yeah pictures would help! Did the vet ever get back to you?