The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Werid white spot! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/werid-white-spot-138328/)

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-20-2012 09:18 PM

Werid white spot!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
My horse has a odd white spot of hair on his shoulder...
I just noticed it today, and I'm positive he hasn't had it until now.
Is it natural, or something I should be worried about?
I just wanted to make sure it isn't anything to be worried about.
I hope you can see it in the picture...
Thanks!

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-22-2012 11:33 PM

Bumpp!!
Ok I've done a bit more research, and I think it may be birdcatcher spots??
(http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/tbcolor3.html)
The only difference is that they're not spots, its just two areas that are flecked with white... I'm not sure, and need some help.
There are two "spots", a little bit bigger than a half dollar, on both his shoulders, above his should blades, a bit higher than where my knees are when I ride bareback. Is it from bareback riding??? (It's hard to see the spot in the photo, but it's really obvious when you're standing next to him....)

He is only 5 years old, so it might be a genetic thing, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't sickness before anything else!
He has also had a bit of a runny nose, not bad, but just enough to make me concerned. I've stopped riding/excising him and I'm going to let him rest and keep an eye on him for the next 1-2 weeks... I think its just a virus, but I really want to be sure. I don't know much about horses yet, but my horse is my top priority!
Thanks!

Spotted 09-22-2012 11:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about the spots. could be from riding, but they will stay forever or could be sun fading or genetics ( grey gene ) doesn't look concerning at all to me.
The runny nose if its clear then not to worry either. if its yellow it could be due to dust, if its dry in your area or dusty hay ect. and if its green its more serious. the best is to feed him low to the ground so it drains.
hope this helps

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-22-2012 11:57 PM

Ok thank you!! :)
It's kind of a yellowish, so from what you say it is probably from the dust.
I just started feeding him oat hay, and its just a big bale in the pasture that I let him eat off of whenever, and he pulls bits of the bale out here and there, creating some dust.
I think I might still give him a week or so to rest and see how he does :)

MAG1723 09-23-2012 01:21 AM

Like spotted said, i wouldn't worry. My horse randomly gets white spots too

AshsStorm 09-23-2012 01:26 AM

I had never heard of birdcatcher spots until recently. I worked for a woman with a solid bay mare who one day, suddenly had spots. Several would appear at a time. They weren't bumps, bites, or wounds.. They literally were perfectly round spots about the size of a quarter of pure white hair. She had them all over her neck and even had one on the tip of her ear. It was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen! The vet said it isn't anything to worry about and she is perfectly healthy.. Just a little odd looking. Beautiful if I do say so myself.

Poseidon 09-23-2012 01:33 AM

Not birdcatcher spot by far and your spots ARE something to be worried about. It looks like it's on the side of his withers. This means your saddle doesn't fit. Your saddle is pinching him there, which is causing bloodflow to be cut off in that spot. The white spot that's developing is a scar. I would venture to guess that if you look at that same spot on the other side, you'll see a similar spot forming there too.

ETA: Yep. Just re-read your other post and that there is another spot on the other side.

The Northwest Cowgirl 09-23-2012 01:48 AM

Poseidon: I haven't rode him the saddle for almost a month though... and these just showed up around last week. I have only been riding bareback.. :/
Since I'm in school, I barely have time to ride.. So I most just go out with my bridle and jump on him:) I don't see how riding bareback could cause that though, especially since when I ride (bareback) there's no pressure in that area...
Thank you all though! It really helps having all the advice and sugestions :)

Spotted 09-23-2012 01:49 AM

yes I agree with poseidon, I missed the part about it matching on the other side. It would be from a saddle not fitting.
I have actually seen it happen with a cinch. And I don't think it goes away.

Poseidon 09-23-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Northwest Cowgirl (Post 1693610)
Poseidon: I haven't rode him the saddle for almost a month though... and these just showed up around last week. I have only been riding bareback.. :/
Since I'm in school, I barely have time to ride.. So I most just go out with my bridle and jump on him:) I don't see how riding bareback could cause that though, especially since when I ride (bareback) there's no pressure in that area...
Thank you all though! It really helps having all the advice and sugestions :)

It does take a bit of time for hair to regrow. The hair isn't going to instantly turn white after you've taken the saddle off.

Ride him with the saddle again until he sweats a good bit. Then check those spots; most likely, they will be dry, meaning a lack of blood flow like I already said.

Either way, they won't go away. Riding bareback won't make them worse, but using your current saddle will. I know several horses with completely white spots on the top of their withers and sides from ill-fitting saddles.