The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Blanketing a thin OTTB? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/blanketing-thin-ottb-138329/)

Jore 09-20-2012 08:21 PM

Blanketing a thin OTTB?

So it's getting slightly chillier out and even though I know everyone says that horses will built to survive the cold.. I can't help but worry about Indie because she's relatively thin. I do have her winter blanket but we have to sell it and get a new one because my instructor estimates she'll gain some weight before we need to use it. I'm also hoping to order a lighter weight sheet and a cooler for spring/fall and then the cooler for after riding. I just don't know when it'll get here (but the site I want to order from shipping the last order in a week and a couple days), and I'm hoping to order it tomorrow. My only issue is that my mom doesn't want to pay $100 for shipping again even though I haven't really found any Canadian website options except Greenhawk and they don't have anything that fits my needs for blankets. :-| My dad says that I should just go on kijiji and find somebody's old blankets.. and maybe I'm being ridiculous in saying this, but I want to buy Indie new blankets, not just use someone's cheap, likely torn, old blankets.

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that she'll be fine for the next week or two. I'm sure she will be, but I'm such a worry wart about it because she's my first horse and I want the very best for her.

AlexS 09-20-2012 08:29 PM

I can't imagine any reason to sell your old blanket. Blankets are measured in length, I would be astounded if your horse put on weight and so the old blanket didn't fit anymore.

Jore 09-20-2012 08:34 PM

The issue with that is that the one I bought is a 74, and when she was measured, she should be wearing an 82. Her 74 flysheet does fit her but it does rub a tiny bit of her shoulders.. I'm thinking I probably won't be able to sell the blanket anyways but to still buy the new blankets. I tried the old size 78 I had for Major on her and it seemed to fit aside from the wither (which the blanket I'd be getting is for high-withered horses) so I think she could likely fill out into that one better whereas a 74 might end up too small at one point.

I just worry too much, I think. I'm sure my instructor would keep her inside if she felt like it was going to be too cold for her.. I hope anyways.

Kayty 09-20-2012 09:08 PM

How about just upping her hay intake and see if that makes a differerence?

Spotted 09-20-2012 09:19 PM

Not sure where your from, but I found winter blakets at UFA last year for $60.00
I think your horse will be fine. You shouldn't worry as long as she had food, it will keep her warm.

AlexS 09-20-2012 09:40 PM

Ah I see, that makes more sense.

Chick's is having a 60% off blanket sale at the moment.

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com: Pre-Season Blanket Blowout- up to 60% Off!

moderncowgirl 09-21-2012 12:33 AM

Check pleasant ridge tackshop out. They will be having a sale next weekend online as well. I get blankets for my herd there around 60-70 bucks canadian.

They are based in ontario, but I belive over 100.00 free shipping in canada
Posted via Mobile Device

Koolio 09-21-2012 07:37 PM

I second moderncowgirl's suggestion of checking out Pleasant Ridge. Their prices are good and I usually receive goods in less than a week in Alberta. Also, any chance that you can find a or other tack store near enough to drive to?

I have seen some decent blankets at Lammles as well.

Jore 09-21-2012 08:07 PM

I'll check out Pleasant Ridge! They even have some turquoise SMB3s so that's a bonus. Thanks everyone!

And nope, the only tack shop super close is the one that my instructor runs.. she doesn't have any blankets though, nor do the tack shops about an hour away. They have a few but usually only 600D.