The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Limited Edition: Unlimited Potential (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/limited-edition-unlimited-potential-138390/)

Kayella 09-21-2012 03:18 PM

Limited Edition: Unlimited Potential

6 Attachment(s)
So I decided to make a progress journal for my colt Henny. :D I'll just be tracking down each milestone we go over, and will post millions of pictures because I can never take too many pictures of my little boy! I'll also throw a few updates of my other two boys Gulliver and Bubba, because they're really going to be working through these mile stones together. They'll help teach Henny what he needs to know about herd dynamics. Gully is working on his muscle tone, and settling down in his new home. Bubba is working on getting over the trauma his past abuse caused him. We're all working together to form a good relationship with each other.

I'm going to backdate some postings to when I went to go pick Henny up last month, so I'll be sure to include the dates. Here's some background info on how I first came across Henny and leading up to his birth:

I was originally browsing the internet for a stallion to breed my mare to. Nothing serious, just poking around to see what was out there. I came across a gorgeous stallion who had great conformation(IMO) so I sent her a quick e-mail. My mare has never showed a noticeable heat in the past 9 years I'd had her. She was a very dominant mare, so that is probably why. Just as she mentioned an alternative route, I came across a foal in-utero that I immediately wanted. Her perlino AQHA mare Miss Poco Buck Swen was in foal to her homozygous black tobiano APHA stallion Sparks Black Jack. The genetic possibility of the foal was 50% buckskin tobiano and 50% smokey black. I jumped at the chance and paid the downpayment and paid the foal off in 3 months.

On the morning of April 23, 2012, I felt like something was up with my baby. I check my e-mail at work and, sure enough, there was a baby on the ground! A buckskin tobiano with LOTS of chrome. She couldn't tell the sex at that point because mama was being protective. Swen had foaled in the field and didn't feel like coming in for breakfast. I was so freaking excited, hopping around the office. I was just bursting with joy that my baby was finally here. By the time I got home(still excited) after work, she was able to stall the duo and get some pictures. I had a colt! And he was freaking gorgeous. A name that had stuck with me the whole time I was awaiting his arrival just seemed perfect. So that's how Hennessy came into this world :)

I'll describe our first encounter in the next post. Attached are pictures of mama just days before foaling, daddy, and Henny only a few hours old.

ParaIndy 09-21-2012 03:25 PM

SOOOOOO Handsome! I just started a journal for my colt also:-)! His name is Indy and he is a Morgan. I would love to own a paint someday though.
Congratulations!

Kayella 09-21-2012 03:36 PM

10 Attachment(s)
May 6, 2012

Henny is now two weeks old. It's a 4 hour trip down to see him, but I managed to gather some friends who were willing to ride in a car for so long and go see him. I got there and I immediately fell in love all over again. He is just the cutest little guy. At first he was really shy, but after about twenty minutes he figured out I give the best scratches! :lol: We stayed for about two hours, but it only felt like half an hour. The whole time I was snapping pictures, petting him, and watching out for mama. He went from tearing around the stall, to tearing mom apart for milk, to passing out after a long, hard day(yeah right). This is the only time I got to see him before I was able to go pick him up, but luckily my breeder would keep me updated with pictures.

These pictures are from days old to 8 weeks old. Hopefully they're in chronological order. My next post will be me going to pick him up :)

(Picture Overlooooaaaad)

Kayella 09-21-2012 03:38 PM

Thanks Indy! Your boy is a cutie as well :)

Kayella 09-21-2012 04:25 PM

10 Attachment(s)
August 25, 2012

Finally after months of waiting my boy was finally coming home! Henny was weaned two weeks before he turned 4 months. He was halter broke, responded to pressure, able to be led, had gone to the vet in the trailer for coggins, and had already gotten a bath. He was doing well on solid feed and hay.

I stressed for weeks getting everything ready to bring him home. I baby-proofed the pasture, bought everything he needed, and saved up hundreds as an emergency fund. The engine in our truck blew out, so we had to borrow a friend's truck who drove down with me both times. Our trailer's out of commission, so we tried renting a trailer. That didn't work out, so we were able to borrow a trailer painting like the Texas flag from a friend of a friend's boyfriend. Phew. We woke up at 6 in the morning and were on the road by 7. The whole time people were staring at the giant Texas flag stock trailer sailing down the road!

We finally got there 4 hours later, where Henny was chowing down in his stall. The breeder helped him load up into the stock trailer, which he wasn't very fond of because of the metal clanging around. He literally FLEW into the trailer and slid into the front. That little dork. I was so nervous and paranoid taking him home. We stopped atleast four times on the way home to check on him. About an hour in, he finally calmed down enough to where he wasn't spinning around the front half of the trailer. I stopped at Tractor Supply to pick up some last minute stuff for all the boys, and the cashiers were just smitten with him. The whole time I was there they were gushing about how gorgeous he was and just staring at him. I felt so proud of my little boy!

Once we finally got him, we were figuring out how to get him to the pasture. We weren't able to pull around back because it had just rained, so we pulled as far up on the drive way as we could. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I stood on his left, my friend stood on his right. We each had a lead rope attached to his loose halter. Slowly we made it to the back, where the other boys were tied up in their stalls. They all called to each other, excited as all get out. I locked him in the foaling stall with a hay net and a water bucket. I didn't want to feed him and upset his tummy. After he relaxed a bit in his stall, I let the other boys out. They went over to sniff him once and decided the pile of hay was more interesting. Henny, however, DEMANDED to be let out. He paced back and forth across the stall, calling to them for company. Poor boy. He had to stay put in the stall for a couple nights before I was willing to let him out over night.

The next day, I took him out and let him get acquainted with the boys. The meeting went decently. The one who gave him the most trouble was Bubba as I had expected. Just a little chasing, but there was really no biting and definitely no kicking. Henny constantly "chomped" at them to show his submission. I swear it is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Henny spent two nights in the stall before I was comfortable enough to let him out overnight. Now he's out 24/7 with Gully and Bubba and they are absolute best friends. For the past month I've been working on leading, tying, standing for farrier, and basically all the ground manners a little man like him needs. He is an absolute joy. He's so well behaved and takes everything in stride.

ParaIndy 09-22-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1692151)
Thanks Indy! Your boy is a cutie as well :)

Wow, he looks like he is going to be a wonderful horse! He sure is full of muscle. Indy does that "chomping" to older horses also. It was kind of funny, I was leading my grandpa's HUGE 18 hand Thoroughbred through Indy's pasture and Indy was running around in circles and doing that to him the whole time!

Kayella 09-22-2012 01:10 PM

Thanks! He list some weight during weaning and the four hour haul home, so I'm working in fattening him up again! I think the chomping is absolutely adorable. The first day they were out together Bubba chased him and Henny San straight to Gully chomping at him. N
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 09-22-2012 01:11 PM

Dang iPod. Now that they're comfortable with each other, he doesn't do it anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Beatha 09-22-2012 07:12 PM

He's got legs! (: He is really cute!

Kayella 09-24-2012 02:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Beatha! He's apparently tall for his age, but he just seems so short to me hehe

September 24, 2012

Henny turned five months old yesterday! Tomorrow I'll had had him for a month. It is crazy how quick this little boy learns. In just a month he's honed his leading and tying skills, loves to take baths, will back and move hind and forequarters, and will let me pick out all four feet. He is best buddies with my other two boys now.

I think he's actually teaching Gully a lesson! I've only had Gully a few months. He's always been timid and very difficult to catch. We've slowly been working on it, and he is doing and looking so much better in just that small timespan. Yesterday I was able to approach Gully and pet him without him trying to turn away. It's just amazing to reach milestones with horses of all ages. I think they teach me more than I teach them!

I also got a sign made by Custom Stall Signs on FB, and it is just amazing. I got a bigger one for all three boys so I can hang it in my room. If you haven't gotten a sign made by her, you need to! She is quick, affordable, amazing, and the nicest person to work with. I got a sign for my room because all my boys are out 24/7. We rent 8 acres from a little old lady, and basically maintain everything ourselves. There are stalls that we feed them in. They're never in their stalls unless it's dinner time, or they just feel like standing in there. 24/7 turnout is what's best for all my boys, so I'm very fortunate to have that option :) I am getting some stuff from Chick's tomorrow, so I'll be having Henny model my new purchases :lol: