The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Going to ride at Lake Anna State Park, VA on Wednesday... (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/going-ride-lake-anna-state-park-138406/)

thenrie 09-21-2012 05:09 PM

Going to ride at Lake Anna State Park, VA on Wednesday...

If anyone in eastern Virginia should care to join me, I'm planning to ride some trails at Lake Anna State Park, near Fredericksburg, on Wednesday, 09/26/12. I'll be there around 9am to start. PM me if interested and we'll meet up.

According to what I have read, there are 12 miles of marked trails there. I am needing to put some miles on my horse. I have a hard time finding anywhere I can ride and put miles on within a short drive of home. This will be my first trip to Lake Anna. We'll see what's there.:wink:

corgi 09-24-2012 01:14 PM

That is in my territory! Too bad I will be working. Lake Anna has some great trails. You will have a good time. Have fun!

Speed Racer 09-24-2012 04:04 PM

Good luck and have fun!

Lake Anna is about 3 hours northeast of me, but I've ridden there before. It's gorgeous.

Joe4d 09-24-2012 04:20 PM

I know some people that ride there, a bit north for me, I just google mapped and you are only an hour and a half from Graves Mt. Can ride forever there.

thenrie 09-24-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1695165)
I know some people that ride there, a bit north for me, I just google mapped and you are only an hour and a half from Graves Mt. Can ride forever there.

I can't find a "Grave's Mountain", unless you are referring to Grave's Mountain Lodge. It's near the Rapidan Wildlife Management Area. I am planning to put some miles in at the RWMA and Shenandoah NP this fall, if things work right for me.:D

phantomhorse13 09-24-2012 08:48 PM

Have fun! Take pictures!

Joe4d 09-25-2012 07:14 AM

graves mt lodge is on the left side of road,,, thinking south side, across the road is a place to camp or park for day rides for us po folks. Can get a map of their trails at the lodge gift shop or at the barn. They have about a 15 mile marked route and then connecting trails to the Shenedoah and big meadow trails.
PM me an email address I'll email you a PDF of the map.

thenrie 09-26-2012 06:21 PM

Got out there a little later than I had hoped this morning. It was a nice day. The park is nice, the trails are nice, but they are the kind of trails where you need to take a friend (either that or just talk to your horse) because once you've arrived at the parking area, you've already seen just about everything you're going to see. It's all forest and doesn't change more than about 100' elevation in the whole park. The only time anything opens for a long view are several spots where the trails come up to the lake. No meadows, no running streams, no obstacles, nothing challenging. Just a nice, leisurely ride. Good for relaxing, not so good for a training ride. I would have taken some pics, but I was alone and one part of the forest looks pretty much like the rest.

They have wooden bridges in the park for hikers to cross streams (stream beds), but they route the horses around them. I decided to see how Penny would react to crossing a narrow wooden bridge for the first time, since it was about the only obstacle I could try her on. Absolutely uneventful. I was very pleased.

One thing I learned. Much of the park is oak forests. I hadn't thought about it much. This time of year the acorns are dropping and the trails are full of them. Not a good time for riding bare-footed. Going to have to look into boots or get her shod. I'd rather do boots. We had to take it pretty slow and easy today. Overall, I enjoyed it. Ended up being good for Penny's trailer training. No problems loading and unloading today. Getting better.