The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaking in tall boots with zipper

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Cinnys Whinny 
#1 ·
so i just received these boots in the mail: VICTORIA DRESSAGE BOOT Mountain Horse USA

i originally ordered them in a 7 wide calf and had to send them back as the footbed was too big. i now have them in a 6 wide calf and the footbed is better (still have room in the toe and ankle) but the calf fits nice and tight. they rub at the back of my ankle/heel which i suppose is something that will get better with wear? anyways, these are my first pair of tall boots that 1. i'm actually going to wear (hahaha) and 2. that have a zipper. any suggestions for breaking them in?

#2 ·
I have Mountain Horse Firenze (the ones with elastic) and they just barely fit my calf, and are a little tight. I too, have a roomy footbed.

For the rubs on your ankles/heels...this is what I did. I went to walmart and I got that rubbery non slip shelf liner stuff...not the thin one, the thicker one that you see other things made of. Cut a strip about 5 -6 inches wide and about 12-14 inches long. Now starting at the back wrap it around your ankle and where it goes over your foot, cut out a triangle to make it fit. You want it to wrap around the ankle and be smooth. Fix with duct tape. Wear these "ankle guards" in your boots for the first month or so until the boots break in. If you make sure they are smooth it should keep you from rubbing the backs of your ankles raw.

For the tight calves (I even have elastic) I dunk the calf part into a bucket of room temperature or cooler water for 10 seconds, then put them on. Zip slowly. As they dry they will conform more to your calf and loosen up.

I have to dunk mine with EVERY where because my calves are actually 1/2 inch bigger than the boots specify....but it has yet to do any damage.

Here is what my "ankle guard" looks like and I have shown in them.

Blue Bandage Adhesive bandage Arm Finger

Bandage Adhesive bandage Joint Ankle Leg

#3 ·
haha - that's super crafty! smart move. ;) i'll see what i can do.

my boots have the elastic in the calf as well. the size 7 were a perfect fit without the elastic having to stretch any but the size 6 requires a little elastic stretch so i think that's good. i had read about the water technique but i was worried what that could do to the elastic. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.