The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle PAD slipping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-pad-slipping-138413/)

Customcanines 09-21-2012 06:07 PM

Saddle PAD slipping

What would cause a saddle pad to slip? The saddle fits fine, but the pad slips back when i ride. The saddle doesn't slip at all. The pad is a felt pad, about 1/2 inch thick. I use it under my endurance saddle and it is fine, but under my english saddle, it slips.

Sahara 09-21-2012 06:16 PM

My first thought would be the saddle doesn't fit.

Customcanines 09-21-2012 06:21 PM

That was my first thought, also, but I've checked it a dozen times with/without the pad, and it's fine. The vet even looked at it and said it fit.

Foxesdontwearbowties 09-21-2012 06:25 PM

Mine slips as well, I've no idea what its made of. Never thought to check.
My saddle fits perfectly as well, just got it for her about two weeks ago.
Subbing so I can find out how to fix my problem as well! Haha. Sorry, no advice. :b

Prinella 09-21-2012 06:29 PM

We found it happened more if the girth was loose or on Roly poly ponies if that's any help?
Posted via Mobile Device

Customcanines 09-21-2012 06:33 PM

I think the girth is tight enough, and she certainly isn't a roly=poly. She's a 2 year old 15.1 QH

jumanji321 09-21-2012 10:08 PM

Are you tucking the front of the pad up in to the pommel area? I find that helps keep the pad from slipping back.

verona1016 09-22-2012 11:06 AM

I've heard a number of theories as to why this happens, from gripping with your knees to the cut of the wither area of the pad to saddle fit. I'm inclined towards it being a saddle fit issue in most cases. You said your vet looked at it, but does she have any training as a saddle fitter? If not, she has no more expertise in this area than any other horseperson. Saddle fit can be very subtle, and it could be that the tree has the wrong amount of curve for your horse's back or has been flocked for a differently shaped horse.

If you're absolutely certain it's not the sadle fit, there are a number of anti-slip saddle pads out there that would be worth looking into.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 09-22-2012 09:23 PM

I had a fleece pad that shot out from under the saddle whenever we went up hills. Switched to a sheepskin pad. It never moves no matter how loose my girth is. Probably just the material it's made of.

SaddleOnline 09-24-2012 06:04 PM

My first worry would be saddle fit, generally pad slippage stems from an ill-fitting saddle. (the fact that it doesn't slip with one saddle but does with the other makes me wonder if it is a fit issue vs a material issue). If you are sure the saddle fits well, you can always try a no slip pad, or even a no slip liner for the slippy pad if you are determined to use it. A thicker pad with more give might also help the saddle fit right and the help the pad stay in place.

Best of Luck!