The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Injury in Hip? Stifle? HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/injury-hip-stifle-help-138429/)

DrillRider 09-21-2012 10:55 PM

Injury in Hip? Stifle? HELP!

In the spring my gelding started hitching his left hind leg at the trot a little and at the canter a lot, he was also refusing his right lead. The vet checked him over and told us it was probably pulled tendons and ligaments. By mid August I was back to cantering him and he seemed perfect. Three (ish) weeks ago my barn manager told me he was rolling, tried to get up, fell, and was favoring his left hind. I didn't canter him for the rest of the week and the chiropractor came out two Wednesdays ago. After that he was really stiff. He was getting better so I tried to canter him but couldn't get his right lead. My trainer got on him and she got the lead, but he was holding it up and hopping. ANY IDEA WHAT THIS COULD BE? We are taking him to an equine hospital early next week and I am terrified he will have to be put down. He can still walk fine and only hitches it a little at a trot. PLEASE ANY IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED!!!!!

DrillRider 09-22-2012 10:50 AM

PLEASE comment if you have ANY ideas. Thanks!

JustDressageIt 09-22-2012 11:47 AM

I strongly suggest not riding until he's checked by a vet.
It could be Stringhalt, or OCD as my first thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrillRider 09-22-2012 01:34 PM

Are those really serious? He is my only horse and I dont have a ton of money to spend on surgery or recovery.

equiniphile 09-22-2012 01:44 PM

Have a vet examine him and go from there. It could be an easy fix, or it could be something big, but either way you need to know.

DrillRider 09-22-2012 04:43 PM

Yes, were going Tuesday. I felt it today and it is hot (not hot hot, just kinda warm) and swollen. When i was felling it it kinda felt like something thin was moving around. Maybe tore a tendon or something?

Palomine 09-22-2012 04:44 PM

I would wonder about something in the stifle possibly?

equiniphile 09-22-2012 04:49 PM

Have you iced or cold hosed it?

DrillRider 09-22-2012 04:51 PM

No I was told to leave it so the vet can really see it. We also took his shoes off (front). Its really cold out today so im not sure how water would work. If it is a pulled/torn tendon, anyone have any idea how bad that is?

DriftingShadow 09-22-2012 04:57 PM

This sounds exactly like what I was going through with drifter these last few weeks. He ended up having an inflamed ligament in his stifle due to a strain, and was "hopping" in his gait due to scar tissue on his hip from an old wound. Does your boy have anything like that? My vet was also of the mind that his strain was coming from the way he had been trimmed. Long toe, low heel led to very atrophied heels which led to drifter compensating and walking different than he was used to which led to muscle soreness and strains. I hope your boy is as easy to fix. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device