The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What do you guys think...suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-you-guys-think-suggestions-138438/)

busysmurf 09-21-2012 10:53 PM

What do you guys think...suggestions?

First, I'm sorry about the video quality!!! I had the video camera charged last week, and when I needed it this week it was dead. So I had to use my phone. The video is at the end of a 45 minute lesson, after about 20 minutes of continuous (well, sort of:lol:) trotting.

My question is regarding his tail carriage. It's a lot higher than it has ever been.

Medical history: We know that his left femur is approximately 1/2" shorter than his right, but the pelvic bone on the left is approximately 1/2" longer than the right. Basically, his left leg is shorter at the hip joint, but when you include the pelvic bones, both legs are equal.

Because of this, the vet said it would create the appearance of a "locked" pelvis, that could be helped with chiro, but was a permanent issue. Thus, the higher tail carriage. But it's NEVER been as high as it was in the video.

Also he's ALWAYS dragged his hind feet since he was a baby, so his toes have always been slightly squared. But they are VERY square now. I'm going to try & get pics this weekend.

I know he needs to see the chiro, but that's going to have to wait until I have the $$ saved up. He's not lame at all, and other than being a little stiff (he's also 21, and has been a lawn ornament for the last 6 years) hasn't showed any signs of pain (biting, getting crabby, etc.) so I'm not overly concerned, just curious what some of you thought.

VIDEO0016 - YouTube

tealamutt 09-22-2012 02:18 PM

No comment about the tail carriage, but I was wondering if he is wearing standing wraps in this video (hard to make out with the quality). If so I would highly recommend using polo wraps instead. If I am mistaken, please disregard the comment!

busysmurf 09-22-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tealamutt (Post 1693054)
No comment about the tail carriage, but I was wondering if he is wearing standing wraps in this video (hard to make out with the quality). If so I would highly recommend using polo wraps instead. If I am mistaken, please disregard the comment!

He had his Pro Choice boots on in the front, and his shipping "boots" on the back. I just use polarfleece quilts & polo wraps w/ the velcro duct taped. Since it was just a 1/2 hour lesson, I diidn't take of the back wraps, & trailered him w/ his pro choice on the front.