The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-saddles-138496/)

iamanequestrian 09-22-2012 05:00 PM

English Saddles

Hello, I started taking English lessons two years ago with my Quarter Pony (14.2). I used my friend's saddle and now it is time to get my own. I chose close contact becuase they have been my favorite. I am looking for an affordable price for a new or used one. I love the Pessoa pony saddles! They just aren't in my budget. I was looking at a Kincade saddle. I like it, but I don't know much about that brand. Does anybody know anything about Kincade? Any other good brands under $400? Thank you! :-)

jumanji321 09-22-2012 05:23 PM

If you're looking for under $400, then get used. Anything new for that price is usually junk. Kincade is VERY hit or miss. I wouldn't touch one to be honest. Look for older stubbens, collegiates, etc.

freia 09-23-2012 12:19 AM

I agree with Jumanji. For under $400, you can get a good, quality, used saddle: Stubben, Collegiate, Crosby, Kieffer, Passier, Kloster Schonthal, Felsbach, Courbette, Wintec, thorowgood, Thornhill, HDR, Bates, Crump, even the Argentine Borelli, Cortina, Ruiz Diaz, Rossi Caruso would probably be better than most Kincades.

iamanequestrian 09-23-2012 08:31 AM

The Kincade saddle is a close contact that you could look up easily. I guess I should keep looking then.

Lexiie 09-23-2012 09:07 AM

I have a wintec, they're expensive new, but you could find them used.
They're really nice to have because of their easy change gullet system, you could ride a draft then change it to fit an Arabian.
Also, they're weather proof!! (and the ones with the equisuede are SO comfy)

equiniphile 09-23-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1693750)
They're really nice to have because of their easy change gullet system, you could ride a draft then change it to fit an Arabian.

Beware of the changable gullet saddles. It's simply impossible for one saddle to fit every horse, as every horse has a different shape and there's more to saddle fitting than tree width. They're not bad saddles, but know that they're not guarenteed to fit your horse because of the easy-change system.

OP, you could probably find a nice Toulouse in that price range if you look. I wasn't a fan for a few years because of the squishy leather, but a friend sold me a slightly older Celine with non-squishy leather for $400 that my horse and I both love.

kitten_Val 09-24-2012 08:58 AM

I'd say "no" to Kinkade. For under $400 you can look into nice brand used saddle: Crosby, M Toulouse, older Stubben, Collegiate (I sold mine for $400 in excellent condition, so they are out there :) ), etc. Are there any consignment stores around you? If so borrow as many saddles as you can to find one that fits the horse (and you).