The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What's a great ride for you? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whats-great-ride-you-138524/)

Muppetgirl 09-23-2012 12:03 AM

What's a great ride for you?

Have you ever had one of those days where everything just ran like clockwork?
One of those days where you had such a positive experience with your horse that when you stepped out of the saddle you had no thoughts of what you should be doing next time around?

I had one of those days today, everything was smooth, calm, quiet, positive and soft....from the time I tacked up until the time I got in my truck and drove home.......

I think we all need more of those days:-)

Oxer 09-27-2012 01:33 AM

Funny you should post this...
Yesterday i went to the barn thinking: I'm not going to stress myself or my horse out. I'm just going to ride. Just relax and ride.

It must have been my vibe, because my horse was light, quiet, and easy going the whole ride. I was asking him for upward and downward transitions to just see if i could get him to take the bit and frame up, and sure enough he dropped his nose and was like butter in my hands. It was pretty nice!

Sometimes i get really caught up in training training training. Gotta focus on keeping him in his training! But we both get fried and just need to have a good time together once in a while.

ChingazMyBoy 09-27-2012 04:39 AM

A great ride is a ride where my horse and I work well together, whilst still having fun. I think the most important thing to remember about riding is to have fun. :)

Ashsunnyeventer 09-27-2012 06:35 AM

A great ride with my 4yo mare is getting off a better horse than I got on. Even if it means that she just did a circle without falling in, we both learned something. Any improvement with her is a big step because she is know to have a lot of "those days".
A great ride with my 15yo gelding is one where we both had fun and he didn't act like he was in too much pain (he's arthritic). It usually involves galloping a lap of the hay field or fooling around with friends. He can't jump much anymore and dressage isn't his piece of cake.

Muppetgirl 09-27-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 1698400)
Funny you should post this...
Yesterday i went to the barn thinking: I'm not going to stress myself or my horse out. I'm just going to ride. Just relax and ride.

It must have been my vibe, because my horse was light, quiet, and easy going the whole ride. I was asking him for upward and downward transitions to just see if i could get him to take the bit and frame up, and sure enough he dropped his nose and was like butter in my hands. It was pretty nice!

Sometimes i get really caught up in training training training. Gotta focus on keeping him in his training! But we both get fried and just need to have a good time together once in a while.

Hmmm it's funny you should say this, because that was exactly my frame of mind too....it's like I was the one in training, trying to keep everything quiet and soft:-). Kind of the less is more attitude:-)

mls 09-27-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1693566)
I think we all need more of those days:-)

Amen sister - amen!

MHFoundation Quarters 09-27-2012 09:52 AM

I agree with ash. Stepping off a better horse than I got on, that's a good ride and the goal of every ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 09-27-2012 10:30 AM

I am happy if I don't fall off :)

MHFoundation Quarters 09-27-2012 10:51 AM

^Yeah, that too. Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 09-27-2012 10:59 AM

my best ride it in the fall cool day and the smell of leaves and the sound of my horse walking on the trails