The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Do people really think American Warmbloods are just mutts? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/do-people-really-think-american-warmbloods-13856/)

whitetrashwarmblood 08-24-2008 07:03 PM

Do people really think American Warmbloods are just mutts?

I know a lot of people who claim that the breed is lousy, and that the horses turn out to be a waste. I own an AW and she's an awesome horse. I just was curious about you guys think...

farmpony84 08-24-2008 08:11 PM

I don't think it's a lousy breed, They do have standards and in order to be registered they have several "tests" they have to do... And (not that I'm an expert on the breed) I believe they even have different levels when they are registered... like blue and gold and maybe red?

But yeah... I think they are mutts... teehee.... Nothing wrong with a mutt though... I mean that is after all, what america is made of!!! Lot's of colors races and creeds all mixed together in one big melting pot!!!!

Sara 08-24-2008 09:44 PM

I'm sorry, but any registry that lumps together a draft cross, an oldenberg and a saddlebred/friesian/qh/tb...no (I'm not making that up, I saw one on equine.com :P ). Someday, the AW might solidify into something good. But right now, they are all over the map in regards to type and quality. Just another set of initials to tack on your sales ad.

That being said, there are some very nice horses registered AW.

Spyder 08-24-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
I'm sorry, but any registry that lumps together a draft cross, an oldenberg and a saddlebred/friesian/qh/tb...no (I'm not making that up, I saw one on equine.com :P .

And I get upset when people take any description listed on sales sites like those without checking, because 95 % are in fact NOT AWR or AWS but just using the AW name to get listed in the warmblood group.

Saying it can be, or potentially may be, simply means to me it ISN'T and should not be taken as listed, registed or pending anything.

If anyone is foolish enough to take those ads at face value then I have no sympathy for them.

Cat 08-24-2008 10:43 PM

There are some very nice AWs out there that come from a few breeders. These breeders have specific goals in mind and are striving towards the standard and excellence in their animals. These are the breeders that will eventually solidify the breed.

However, there are an overwhelming number of breeders who are breeding whatever they can to get an AW and really don't have a good program outlined with solid objectives. These are the breeders that are giving the AW a bad name, and unfortunately these breeders far outweight the first set.

Solon 08-24-2008 11:11 PM

They are mutts. Look at your username!!! :lol:

That doesn't mean they are bad, they just aren't pure. Pure doesn't always amount to a hill of beans either!

whitetrashwarmblood 08-24-2008 11:20 PM

i know they're not pure
i just noticed that a lot of people (especially where i live) think the breed is useless. i think many people just get the impression that someone just decided to breed their draft with a friend's TB and call it a high quality warmblood. But not all of the AW breeders are like that, like Cat said.

Solon 08-24-2008 11:25 PM

Sadly, a lot are though. :( But that shouldn't take away from the ones that are good. I think after a few years and working the kinks out, the 'breed' as a whole will get more respect. It's going to take responsible breeding on the crosses though. I haven't seen many very good ones, but the good ones I have seen are REALLY good.

Spyder 08-24-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon
I haven't seen many very good ones, but the good ones I have seen are REALLY good.

Like this one.

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/phot...92198_8089.jpg

Solon 08-24-2008 11:50 PM

Exactly - beautiful horse.