The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-do-you-think-138573/)

mareabol 09-23-2012 08:56 PM

What do you think?

2 Attachment(s)
I ride mostly hunter jumper, but also really like barrel racing. I've never done it outside of 4-h gymkhana which is once a year. So I was was just wondering how I look. The horse in the picture is not mine, she's a friends and does jumping/eventing/hunters. I'm kind of considering converting...don't tell my instructor.:lol:

MangoRoX87 09-23-2012 10:24 PM

English is much different then western ;) You need to pick your shoulder up out of the turn and be exactly perpendicular with the ground, don't look at the barrel, and sit back a little(: BUt otherwise, I'm impressed you can do that in an English saddle! Lol

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 01:07 AM

Agreed with what Mango said. :) You and the horse are both leaning to the inside, and when that happens at high speeds, you'll probably slip and fall...But, in those photos, I don't think you're flying at NFR speed so it was probably no biggie. :) But yes, you need to get the horse lifing its shoulder and its inside leg up under them so they can drive off the turn on their hind end. That will just come with a lot of slow work. Also, weight in your outside stirrup instead of your inside. ^^ When you're in a western saddle you will sit down when you're ready to turn, put your weight in the outside stirrup, hold the horn with your outside hand, and direct rein using one hand pulling to your hip.

All in all it's not bad, for an english rider. :lol: :lol:

Seriously. Come to the dark side. We're pretty fun over here too. ^^

Roperchick 09-24-2012 01:13 AM

yall look pretty good....nothing really to add except...i would definitely switch to a western saddle for this....

its pretty impressive that you could do this in an english saddle...but that can be pretty risky.

mareabol 09-26-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1694612)
Seriously. Come to the dark side. We're pretty fun over here too. ^^

I really want to, but I don't think there are many Barrel racing instructors around where I am.