The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Trail Riding (/trail-riding/)
-   -   Health Certificate (

gt49 09-23-2012 09:03 PM

Health Certificate
A bit of a survey please: I have traveled out of state with my horses but have not done more than one out of state trip in the same year.

If you do a lot of interstate travel with your horses do you get a vet inspection and health certificate every 30 days? Do you get a vet inspection and certificate for each specific trip? Does your vet charge the regular fee for a farm call and physical?

It seems to me that this would be a big expense.

gypsygirl 09-23-2012 09:04 PM

yes every 30 days, you can put more than one trip on a health cert though, if you are going both places with in 30 days. i personally dont get charged a farm call, but im friends with my vet and i board with them.

QOS 09-23-2012 09:30 PM

I am hauling Biscuit and Sarge to Mississippi next month and will need a health certificiate to haul through Louisiana. I will get the certificates around the first week of October when I to go get Biscuit's Coggin's pulled. My Vet just saw both of the horses last month for their shots. The certificate of health I believe were around $12 each last year.

Painted Horse 09-23-2012 10:35 PM

If I get my coggins from my Vet ($40) he will give me unimited Health certificates when I travel for free. So even though I can find cheaper coggins, His package deal is pretty hard to beat. plus he trust me to know if the horses are showing in signs of sickness, So I ususally just call and he has the papers waiting at the front desk for me, I rarely take the horses in for a travel certificate. So no farm calls fees or certifcate fees.

But then he drives past my place probably twice a day and see my horses standing in their corral

bbsmfg3 09-24-2012 07:03 PM

Requirements for coggins and health certificates vary from state to state.

Here's a decent summary by state:

Transportation Requirements by State

Some states have a lot of additional requirements, ie, if traveling thru Illinois you DO NOT need a health certificate if the horse never touches state soil. BUT, you must have a valid, negative coggins.

Some states require entry inspections. This is true of most states that have brand laws. All equines and mules entering the state are required to stop at the port of entry(usually a weight station).

Some states require a CDL license if you have any markings, signs, etc that refer to your ranch, farm, etc. on the truck or trailer.

IN SUMMARY, before going into a state you are not familiar with, check with the DOT and State Vet. AND keep both phones numbers available to you. Some state inspectors really get carried away.

And DON'T pass a state inspection facility, the results are both time consuming and very expensive. Imagine having your stock quarantined until such time as the state, your in, draws new blood and gets a negative coggins back from the lab. Then spend 30 days after that in quarantine. And your truck and trailer impounded until your court case comes up, and you pay the fines. NOT worth the risk.

Darrin 09-24-2012 07:53 PM

Nooo, not worth it at all. I forgot to do my coggins and brand inspection once, was able to talk my way out it but man was it close and I'll never forget the experience.

I forgot because Oregon doesn't require pickups with trailers to pull into weigh stations at the entry ports or anywhere else. So unfortunately, at the time, the thought never crossed my mind I needed anything.

Celeste 09-24-2012 08:11 PM

Bob, thanks for that site. Very useful information.

phantomhorse13 09-24-2012 08:47 PM

Around here, a negative Coggins is a given, but health certs depend on the state and even sometimes the facility you are going to in that state.

I need a negative Coggins for every ride I attend, regardless of state. Most states out this way technically require a health cert for an out-of-state horse, but few actually check. Recently, the West Virginia state vet has been showing up to check at rides, so we make sure to have them there. The New Jersey rides require proof of rabies vaccination.

PaintedHorse, I would LOVE to find a vet to give me that kind of deal out here!! The Coggins alone cost me $50, plus half the farm call fee (another $25) and if he had come out to do health certs, it would be the farm call ($50) plus $25 each time.

aforred 09-25-2012 08:18 PM

I always get a health certificate when I haul somewhere, and I hope everyone else does too. It's supposed to help prevent disease outbreak
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 09-25-2012 09:10 PM

virginia is ate up like a soup sandwich. We are supposed to be in a multi state 6 month certificate program, of course va didnt actually issue one. Now they are issuing one but some idiot burecrat read into the law, and suddenly VA has tougher requirements for horses to LEAVE va than they do for horses to enter. Basically a royal pain to get the 6 month cert in Va, So I just dont get one and wont go to rides that require them.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome