The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with finding leg protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-finding-leg-protection-138604/)

poppy1356 09-24-2012 10:05 AM

Help with finding leg protection

So my Lizzy dear has decided that it's time for a new product test.:-x

She has started clipping the back of her front legs. As we start adding speed to her training program and working on turns and various other movements, she clips her fetlock, pastern area. She has shoes on her front so she wears bell boots whenever I work her but these are borrowed and are now needed by the owner. Plus the dear girl has outsmarted the bell boots and hits above them. I'm thinking combo boots would be best for this. So below is a link to some I think would be good.

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Performers 1st Choice Air-Flow Combination Boots

I'm not looking for protection for joints or any of that fun stuff, just something to keep her free of cuts. And this is only for arena work so I don't need anything fancy just functional. Hence why I'm not looking at those expensive SMB's.

And if anyone has any for sale that would be awesome.

poppy1356 09-24-2012 01:12 PM

No one has advice on boots?

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 05:36 PM

If she is clipping you need splint boots and bell boots. I reccomend the Classic Equine ProTech boots. I would get at least fronts, but hinds would be good too.

Classic Equine Pro-Tech Boots - The Tack Stop

Then any type of bell boot should work, but these are my favorites:

No Turn DL Bell Boot - The Tack Stop

That page has the No-Turn bells as well as the ProTech bells. Either would work, but I might lean towards the Protech. A little more durable material.

Those combo boots or any sort of sport boots (SMBs, Legacys, Iconoclaust, etc) will not protect her from hurting herself if her legs are hitting.

SaddleOnline 09-24-2012 05:42 PM

I had a horse that clipped his fetlock area all the time, and bell boots are useless there. I have found that the combo boots can restrict movement a bit, they can be so bulky! I had the best luck with polo wraps (those are nice because you can wrap a little lower if you need to, or just do it like a normal polo). They absorb impact just fine, and combined with bell boots give you the protection you need, without being in the way!

Best of luck!

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 05:44 PM

I disagree on the polos. They may prevent some cosmetic damage and support the leg, but they aren't going to prevent injury to the bone and tendon if the horse steps on himself or hits hard. Don't get me wrong, I love polos, but probably not for this situation...

Also they can do more harm than good if incorrectly wrapped, and are pretty time consuming...

poppy1356 09-24-2012 07:36 PM

Thank you. I do not like polos because I have no idea how to put them on. They look pretty but I don't have anyone to show me at this time.

I'm going to go on a hunt for those boots on another site since I need a small. At least I hope a small will be small enough. At least they don't look to be all to expensive. Doubt I will find those used, oh well.

She wears bell boots now because I don't want her to pull off her shoes, she's pretty much amazing at spending my money.

poppy1356 09-24-2012 10:39 PM

Ok where else do I find those boots? I need a small. Everywhere I find them it's either medium or large. I will measure her to be sure but she's an 800ish lb Arab.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 11:16 PM

I will shop around for you tonight and see if I can't find some. If I were you I would get on facebook and join a group called Tack Swap. I've seen them abundant there lately.

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 11:29 PM

Classic Equine Pro Tech Front Boots and Front Tendon Boots | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

Here are fronts in small. Hinds in small are on Horse.com.

BarrelRacingLvr 09-25-2012 06:53 PM

First I would have a talk with your farrier....I understand a few times but constantly over reaching and having contact isnt good.

I would get a pair of SMBs my favorite brand is Pro Equines. But I would definitely have your farrier out on those hinds...
Posted via Mobile Device