The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   feeding eggs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feeding-eggs-138605/)

Dead Rabbit 09-24-2012 10:54 AM

feeding eggs

while here on vacation in SC. we toured Middleton Plantation. while there i learned that some of the middletons were into breeding and raising thoroughbred horses. one of their practices was to exercise the horses for an X amount of time then feed them 20 eggs apiece.

has anyone ever heard of this type of conditioning?

Speed Racer 09-24-2012 11:06 AM

No. Horses aren't designed to digest animal protein. That doesn't stop people from having silly ideas about what they can be fed, though. Some ancient warriors fed their horses meat, in the belief that it would make them stronger and more fierce.

Chevaux 09-24-2012 11:08 AM

Subbing. I've not heard of this; my first thought is that while it's a source of protein is that an appropriate food to use with horses?

Allison Finch 09-24-2012 12:45 PM

Rutgers has a nutrition website. Here is what they say

Can a horse eat eggs?

Quote:

I was talking with an old racehorse trainer today and he said he used to give his horses eggs regularly. It made their coats look terrific. As my hens are laying like crazy and providing more eggs than friends and family can use, I was wondering if the extra eggs could be given to my horses?

Eggs are an excellent source of protein, as we all know. One egg per horse per day would definitely not hurt-if you can get them to eat them! I don't know if it would be easier to feed them raw (which would be easier to mix into feed) or hard boiled (to reduce the risk of salmonella). The shells could even be ground up as a calcium supplement. I believe they used to feed eggs to horses in England and Ireland.

Answer provided by Sarah Ralston, VMD, Ph.D., dACVN, Rutgers Cooperative Extension.
Ask the Expert -- Nutrition

Dead Rabbit 09-24-2012 02:38 PM

i have layer hens, i sell eggs. ive had chickens all my life and its a common habit for me to feed eggs to both my chickens and my dogs. its great for both them. for young fowl. its good to crush up a boiled egg shell and all and feed to chicks their first couple days of life. for dogs its a great source of protein, but from reading yrs ago their is health dangers in feeding raw eggs to both dogs and fowl. and its nothing to do with salmenella. i cant recall the details now, but the best method is to boil them. and then feed them.

but using eggs for horses, it never crossed my mind till reading about it yesterday.

Chevaux 09-24-2012 02:54 PM

I have hens also. I do get surplus eggs. While the cats and dogs get those, I won't be planning on feeding them to my horses any time soon.