The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   barrel saddle vs equitation saddle seat size (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/barrel-saddle-vs-equitation-saddle-seat-138616/)

Fowl Play 09-24-2012 12:43 PM

barrel saddle vs equitation saddle seat size

My daughter had her first barrel race this weekend and has decided to stop doing performance 4-h as a result. She is going to focus on barrels, reining, and cow work instead. I'm totally okay with this change but I need to make a change in her saddle. She has been using my Crates 15.5 in barrel saddle, but it's a little too big. She rides in a 15.5 in Crates equitation show saddle for showing and we'll be selling that saddle to buy her a more appropriately sized barrel saddle. I think we're sticking with Crates because that seems to fit her horse the best. Since she only plans on doing low level reining shows, a barrel saddle will be fine, especially if I can find her a square skirt.

My question is what size of seat should I look for? I know that barrel saddles are usually considerably smaller in the seat than a standard western saddle. She's about 5'1" at 10 right now, and in both of the saddles she currently rides in (15.5" seats) she's using the 3rd hole down for stirrups. She's going to keep growing too. Would a 14" saddle be a better fit for her?

OutOfTheLoop 09-24-2012 12:57 PM

I would have her sit in different seats and see what is comfy for her. I am 5'7" and 140 lbs, and I can ride in a 14 1/2, but I've seen people my size ride in 16's. It depends on the saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 05:33 PM

Barrel saddles are sized differantly than normal saddles. For example, a 14'' barrel saddle will be the equivalent of a 15'' show saddle. My barrel saddle is a 14'', and roomy, but my reining saddle is a 15.5'' and I have the same amount of room. So whatever size she is in the barrel saddle, go up and inch for the show saddle. :)

Fowl Play 09-24-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1695249)
Barrel saddles are sized differantly than normal saddles. For example, a 14'' barrel saddle will be the equivalent of a 15'' show saddle. My barrel saddle is a 14'', and roomy, but my reining saddle is a 15.5'' and I have the same amount of room. So whatever size she is in the barrel saddle, go up and inch for the show saddle. :)

So what I need to do then is go DOWN a size since she's getting rid of a show saddle and moving into a smaller barrel saddle. I'm not so sure your formula works out so well because the 15.5" barrel saddle fits me exactly the same way the 15.5" show saddle or reining saddle do. I know that barrel saddles are usually smaller because they're designed to hold you in better. The unfortunate thing around here is that there are no high end barrel saddles for sale in a store. The only barrel saddles I can find for her to try on are cheap. I want to try her in a Crates, Martin or Triple Creek because I know that those are the brands that have fit her horse well in the past. Crates is my first pick because they seem to be much more readily available, especially used. I'm thinking 14-14.5" but wish I could find one to try her in.

SorrelHorse 09-24-2012 05:41 PM

Sorry I kinda misread what you were saying. Yeah, I would go down a size. 14 and 14.5 are the most popular sizes in barrel saddles so you should be able to find one pretty easy.