The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with Oldenburgs and/or Irish sport horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/anyone-have-experience-oldenburgs-irish-sport-138654/)

NMdressage 09-24-2012 06:29 PM

Anyone have experience with Oldenburgs and/or Irish sport horses?

So I'm thinking of looking at a mare that is an Oldenberg/Irish sport horse cross. My trainer said he thinks there are some breed personality traits I should be aware of before I go look at her, granted not all breeds conform to standards. I tried looking the traits up online but couldn't find much, has anyone had any experience with their personalities?

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-24-2012 06:43 PM

Know nothing about Oldenburgs but have handled (not ridden) a few Irish Sport Horses and didn't notice any particular quirks that couldn't be put down to feed or training. Others may enlighten you more. Can you ask your trainer for specifics?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-24-2012 07:16 PM

Irish Sport Horses, and Oldenburgs, are not a really specific breed, but rather a recognzide crossing of breeds. I mean, Oldenburgs can be part this and part that and still be called Oldenburg. Like part Thoroughbred, part Hanoverian and part Swedish Warmblood. At least that's what I was told, and I will accept correction if that is wrong.

Irish sport horse I think is Irish Draught crossed with Thoroughbred, or something like that, such as Selle Francais or a lightwarmbood.

I have the fortune to part lease an Irish Sport horse., He is half Irish Draught and half Selle Francais. He has THE best temperament of any horse I have ever ridden. He is brave, willing, has a ton of "try" in him and is very trusting and gets along with any horse, any human. He jumps well, is fast at times and very surefooted. What more can you ask?

ThursdayNext 09-24-2012 10:59 PM

There are a couple of Oldenburgs at my barn. One of them is a pretty standard-issue pissy mare. The other one is incredibly curious and very bright.

Strawberry4Me 09-24-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1695390)
Irish Sport Horses, and Oldenburgs, are not a really specific breed, but rather a recognzide crossing of breeds. I mean, Oldenburgs can be part this and part that and still be called Oldenburg. Like part Thoroughbred, part Hanoverian and part Swedish Warmblood. At least that's what I was told, and I will accept correction if that is wrong.

That is also my understanding. There is a wonderful Oldenburg mare at my barn, who is really aggressive while in her stall, but outside of her stall she is fantastic.

There is also a woman who brings her Irish Sport Horse in for lessons and training, and he seems to have a wonderful temperment. He is rather large though, 17h. But I am unsure if that is typical of the breed or if he is just a giant.

Delfina 09-24-2012 11:32 PM

There's an Oldenburg at my barn. VERY much a pissy, pissy mare. I've watched her be ridden by multiple people and she will use anything as an excuse to have an absolute fit and then sulk for hours. If she trips over a pole it's YOUR fault and she will then be mad at YOU for hours.

Very loving to humans on the ground but if she decides that she's mad at another horse and you are in-between her and them, she'll take you out to get to them. I do nightly feeding and I have to remove her first from the pasture so I won't get kicked or trampled by her as she's always mad at someone.

Her training has been very spotty the past few years (her owner was injured, then PG and then had an ill child) which hasn't helped her attitude in the slightest. She's leaving with my trainer on a 6mo lease for an advanced student of hers, so she will be in full training with constant lessons. Should be very interesting to see how her attitude is when she returns.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-24-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me (Post 1695708)
There is also a woman who brings her Irish Sport Horse in for lessons and training, and he seems to have a wonderful temperment. He is rather large though, 17h. But I am unsure if that is typical of the breed or if he is just a giant.

An Irish Sport Horse mare I knew (IDxTB) was 17hh - she was a bit hot but was in peak fitness and show condition, and stabled 24/7, so that's not unexpected! But she didn't seem notably different in personality - perhaps a bit less reactive and jumpy than some of the TBs, Arabians and Hanoverians I was exercising. Perhaps a bit stubborn? That's the only thing I could think of...

Poseidon 09-24-2012 11:46 PM

I had two Oldenburgs at my barn. One was a 3 year old mare that belonged to the sister of a regular boarder and she was keeping her for her sister for a bit. She seemed pretty derpy, but really high energy, both on the ground and under saddle.

The second is a 9 year old gelding that is Oldenburg/Swedish WB (registered Swedish WB). He would be a good horse if he was worked with on a regular basis, but his owner travels very often for his job and we're pretty sure he's just overhorsed with this gelding as it is. He's also really derpy, but very high energy. His manners are decent 75% of the time, but he is well aware of how big he is and if he wants to just go somewhere else when you're leading him, he just goes there. It would be wonderful if he was worked with because he's a pretty horse and moves with such grace for a huge animal (17.2ish with huge bones). The owner is in a relationship with a fellow boarder, but she owns 2 15 or so hand horses (An Appy and a QH) with impeccable ground manners, so we just assume she isn't comfortable working with him because of his size and energy level.

tinyliny 09-25-2012 12:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of Zulu, the horse that I part lease. His owner is riding him hunter/jumper. She is a dandy rider, while I am not, but Z tolerates our different styles with equinamity and grace.

( I am the fat one)

Attachment 113174

Attachment 113175

Attachment 113176

NMdressage 09-26-2012 10:38 PM

Evilhorseofdoom (awesome name btw) I think my trainer mentioned stubbornnes (sp?) as one of the things that maybe I should look into, but I don't know what else he meant.

It sounds like this mare has had a pretty decent foundation and a well rounded personality. I think my major concern in considering her is that she is a mare and I don't to wind up with a crazy or super high strung and sensitive horse. It's good to know that this type of horse doesn't seem to be too crazy =)

p.s. tinyliny Zulu is beautiful!