The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Another TWH thread- whats on his leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/another-twh-thread-whats-his-leg-138658/)

Copperhead 09-24-2012 08:16 PM

Another TWH thread- whats on his leg?

I was reviewing the other posts regarding The Big Lick and looked up Folsom for myself to see him move. I have some questions that maybe someone would know the answer to

What the heck is strapped onto Folsom's right leg?

I also watched a video of Folsom moving in a work out

How is his rider communicating with him? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know squat about riding a TWH like this. But this man looks like a soggy potato with strings attached for legs. I don't see how he is communicating at all with the horse. His legs are literally flapping and during the 1:24 clip, I see he has very long spurs that he can use to touch way under the horse's belly.

We know how they get the horse to move so unaturally, using stilts and pain methods and whatnot. But how are they communcating while sloshing their weight around and allowing their legs to wiggle and flap? The only time I saw any leg control was when he aimed to stop the horse, and his legs just got stiff and braced.

Any insight would help.

tinyliny 09-24-2012 08:27 PM

Durn! I liked that song, before it was the soundtrack to that monkey riding the freak. I know that is really harsh, but I can't say anything good about this style of riding. It is just gross.

Diegosmom 09-24-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1695391)
I was reviewing the other posts regarding The Big Lick and looked up Folsom for myself to see him move. I have some questions that maybe someone would know the answer to

Rodney Dick & TWH Folsom Prison Blues - YouTube

What the heck is strapped onto Folsom's right leg?

I also watched a video of Folsom moving in a work out

Folsom Prison Blues. 2012 Tennesse Walking Horse Stake Contender - YouTube

How is his rider communicating with him? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know squat about riding a TWH like this. But this man looks like a soggy potato with strings attached for legs. I don't see how he is communicating at all with the horse. His legs are literally flapping and during the 1:24 clip, I see he has very long spurs that he can use to touch way under the horse's belly.

We know how they get the horse to move so unaturally, using stilts and pain methods and whatnot. But how are they communcating while sloshing their weight around and allowing their legs to wiggle and flap? The only time I saw any leg control was when he aimed to stop the horse, and his legs just got stiff and braced.

Any insight would help.

My mother used to show big licks and most on the communication was in the rains with a cluck or no cluck. To go into a canter was a kick or tap with the whip to the left shoulder

Copperhead 09-24-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1695400)
Durn! I liked that song, before it was the soundtrack to that monkey riding the freak. I know that is really harsh, but I can't say anything good about this style of riding. It is just gross.

:lol: Sorry to ruin a good song for you!

I don't like this style of riding either. Everything about it disgusts me. However, I'm genuinely curious about the strap around the horse's leg in the first video and also the communication techniques they use on their horses. I was always taught that communication should come from the seat and leg first, and then the reins. I don't see any type of fathomable communication so now I'm wondering how the horse generally knows what to do if the rider isn't helping him out.

EDA:

So now leg at all? How do they start the horse and teach it aids before they get to the Big Lick? For instance, you have a green horse that you need to teach how to canter when asked. No leg at all?

Also, do you know what that strap is?

Diegosmom 09-24-2012 08:42 PM

I have no clue what the strap is.I was thinking some sort or wrap for an injury. I have never seen anything up on a horses leg like that.

Its like dressage so to speak.Those horses are trained with very minimum contact .If you see how well he has the horse collected in the mouth that's where most of the communication is. As far as getting them trained that way im not sure. I guess there could be lots of tactics . I guess its the same as getting a horse to stop with out tugging the rains and just giving a "whooh" My horse is very well trained that way. Hours of pulling back and saying whooh and then they just start listening to the commands instead of feeling them.

Elizabeth Bowers 09-24-2012 08:46 PM

I'm sorry that horse is beautiful, but that is not at all natural in any way! Its a wonder that poor stallion isn't suffering any joint problems having to move like that. Simply horrible.....
Sorry don't know what that strap is on his leg either!

Diegosmom 09-24-2012 08:52 PM

ok this might be far fetched.Just called mom about a the strap.Could be making a statement cause someone has died.People put black straps on their arms when someone has died.He could have put it on the horse. Seeing that that was a charity show it could be. Ive seen breast cancer shows where the horses had pink straps on

Copperhead 09-24-2012 08:55 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree that its like dressage. A dressage horse has a lot of contact through the seat and legs, which tell the horse everything it needs to know while driving it forward into the bit, where the horse then bends. Everything from the walk and all the way up to canter pirroutte is communicated through the rider's seat, weight, legs and timing.

Thats why I'm confused. I don't see any communication at all through any aids a rider would normally use. Theres no collection in the walker we just watched.

Saddlebag 09-24-2012 09:01 PM

Because of the built up shoes the straps are from pads that are protecting the inside of the knees.

Diegosmom 09-24-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1695447)
I'm gonna have to disagree that its like dressage. A dressage horse has a lot of contact through the seat and legs, which tell the horse everything it needs to know while driving it forward into the bit, where the horse then bends. Everything from the walk and all the way up to canter pirroutte is communicated through the rider's seat, weight, legs and timing.

Thats why I'm confused. I don't see any communication at all through any aids a rider would normally use. Theres no collection in the walker we just watched.

I know noting about dressage so maybe i shouldn't have used that. That horse is all collected in the mouth thats what i ment by collected. Thats were all the command on the horses i have rode comes from