The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cowboy Mounted Shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/)
-   -   Beginning in CMS... horse breeds? (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/beginning-cms-horse-breeds-138731/)

HighstepperLove 09-25-2012 01:38 PM

Beginning in CMS... horse breeds?

So, my guy and I were at a horse expo this past weekend. We are both soldiers and both are very gun-savvy (I'm an Army trained weapons expert). I have 25 years (ahem... I don't feel that old!!!) and he is just learning to ride, but picking it up very quickly. As you can tell by my name, I'm partial to "high steppers"... and by that I mean Walkers and Saddlebreds, mostly. Right now we have a total of 5 TWHs on our family land.. one is mine, the rest belong to 2 people outside the family, but we have blanket permission to ride them. That being said, I am looking for a horse for him and my kids both. I think my TWH mare would do fine with this sport in the lower levels.. and I was looking for them a TWH as well, but I'm starting to wonder if I should break down and buy them a QH or Paint. We both went through a clinic and very much enjoyed the sport and wish to get started. My mare is very spirited, but minds well :lol: She will love to run through the course. Not sure about what to get for them now. I've been so resistant to getting a QH just b/c it's not my style. But, I'm not sure a more subdued and older TWH will get them very far in the sport. What do you ride?

nrhareiner 09-26-2012 10:26 AM

It is like all speed events you need a horse who can run the pattern clean and fast now add in the shooting. The big thing is to hig the balloons while doing it as fast as possible. So if your TWH and SB like to run and can rate and turn they should do fine. The rate and turn in the key though. If they can not get down and really turn you might have a bit more of a problem.

Cherie 11-01-2012 08:39 AM

Gaited horses are not very 'quick-footed' or very fast. A lot depends if they move out well at the gallop and can still collect and work on their hind ends. Most can't. They are bred to do just the opposite.

Quarter Horses and QH types are selected, bred and raised to be 'quick-footed', fast and athletic. I would guess that your gaited horses are going to do OK at the introductory and lower levels and come up very short when you are ready to move up.

GoldenPony 07-09-2014 01:13 PM

We have a good sized mounted shooting club based out of my barn. By far the stock horse breeds are most popular, but every now and again you come across something different, including draft crosses. I can't say I've seen a TWH or SB, but I know it really takes time to get to the point where you need a horse that can be QUICK. If your horse is obedient, then starting (especially for your husband, who you said is a new rider) on the horses you already have would be fine. Who knows, your horse might be better at it than you think! Besides, that smooth movement might make it easier to hit your targets, you won't be bouncing around!