The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Going from a sidepull to a hackamore? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/going-sidepull-hackamore-138739/)

Cowgirls Boots 09-25-2012 04:01 PM

Going from a sidepull to a hackamore?

Any opinions on this? She's fine in a sidepull but because she's got such a small head I had to have a paracord noseband/sidepull attachment custom made to go on my bridle and its becoming stretched out.

I had her in a D-ring snaffle and she's always shook her head in it besides a few times. She just seems more content bitless. I tried a Dr Cooks on her and she listened fine, just was a bit confused on all the pressure points.

Only thing I haven't tried is a hack. I like the little s's but she doesn't neck rein and I heard that the wire could potentially cut the horse. I don't want something too harsh, fleece noseband would be ideal. Like i said, I don't want something too harsh, I saw a lot of really long shanked hacks which I do not want. Shorter the shanks the better.

Someone that knows a lot on hacks, please enlighten me!
Posted via Mobile Device

Toymanator 09-25-2012 05:42 PM

Your D-ring snaffle will be less harsh than any mechanical hackamore you put on a horse.

SorrelHorse 09-25-2012 05:43 PM

If you are going to go to a hack I would probably go ahead and do the Little S, you can wrap the noseband. I wrap anything I get with a noseband in vet wrap and my horses are content with it.

Poseidon 09-25-2012 05:46 PM

The pressure is different, so it might confuse her too. I did the same thing over the summer, borrowing a Little S from a friend. I liked the control I had, but I had to constantly remind myself that any pressure I added to it would be magnified some by the hackamore rather than with my sidepull. My mare was confused by the pressure change for the first few times I used it, but figured it out pretty quick.

My mare also has a giant head, so the shank hobble wire was up against her skin. It didn't cut her, but it was definitely always putting slight pressure behind her chin.

Overall, it would a good experience that helped with stopping immediately, but eventually she decided she didn't like it as much as the sidepull so we're back in that.

Cowgirls Boots 09-25-2012 08:07 PM

The problem is my horse doesn't like the bit but its quite a challenge finding a whole side pull that'll fit her. I have to have everything custom made
Posted via Mobile Device

Toymanator 09-25-2012 10:02 PM

What is your D-Ring snaffle made out of?

Cowgirls Boots 09-25-2012 10:05 PM

It's a korsteel.
Posted via Mobile Device