The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Do you believe in ghosts/spirits? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/do-you-believe-ghosts-spirits-138756/)

JamieLeighx 09-25-2012 06:11 PM

Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?

I was just wondering how many of you believe in ghosts/spirits? I do not want to start any arguments or debates about religion.

I am just interested in seeing who does and who doesn't and why. Also I wanted to hear peoples personal experiences with them.
I do believe in ghosts/spirits, in fact I'm not actually sure what the difference is lol. I have had at least 10 experiences with them, I will share the stories after:)

I would also like to say I didn't believe in any of this until my step-dad passed, and I believe that most if not all were him. I hope so anyway lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faceman 09-25-2012 07:06 PM

Do I believe in ghosts or sprits? Absolutely not. Do I believe that the human brain can lead us anywhere we care to tread? Absolutley...

Chevaux 09-25-2012 07:18 PM

Yes, I believe there are spirits. I also believe the mind can play tricks on us for whatever reason and this happens to us much more than a "presence" if you will.

gunslinger 09-25-2012 08:23 PM

By any chance, have you read the book of Enoch?

Book of Enoch

Enoch 7:9 These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them. (6)
(6) The Aramaic texts preserve an earlier list of names of these Watchers: Semihazah; Artqoph; Ramtel; Kokabel; Ramel; Danieal; Zeqiel; Baraqel; Asael; Hermoni; Matarel; Ananel; Stawel; Samsiel; Sahriel; Tummiel; Turiel; Yomiel; Yhaddiel (Milik, p. 151).
Enoch 7:10 Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.
Enoch 7:11 And the women conceiving brought forth giants, (7)
(7) The Greek texts vary considerably from the Ethiopic text here. One Greek manuscript adds to this section, "And they [the women] bore to them [the Watchers] three races–first, the great giants. The giants brought forth [some say "slew"] the Naphelim, and the Naphelim brought forth [or "slew"] the Elioud. And they existed, increasing in power according to their greatness." See the account in the Book of Jubilees.
Enoch 7:12 Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them;
Enoch 7:13 When they turned themselves against men, in order to devour them;
Enoch 7:14 And began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to eat their flesh one after another, (8) and to drink their blood.
(8) Their flesh one after another. Or, "one another’s flesh." R.H. Charles notes that this phrase may refer to the destruction of one class of giants by another (Charles, p. 65).
Enoch 7:15 Then the earth reproved the unrighteous.
Enoch Chapter 8

Enoch 8:1 Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.
Enoch 8:2 Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.
Enoch 8:3 Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:
Enoch 8:4 Armers taught the solution of sorcery;
Enoch 8:5 Barkayal taught the observers of the stars, (9)
(9) Observers of the stars. Astrologers (Charles, p. 67).
Enoch 8:6 Akibeel taught signs;
Enoch 8:7 Tamiel taught astronomy;
Enoch 8:8 And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,
Enoch 8:9 And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven.
Enoch Chapter 9

Enoch 9:1 Then Michael and Gabriel, Raphael, Suryal, and Uriel, looked down from heaven, and saw the quantity of blood which was shed on earth, and all the iniquity which was done upon it, and said one to another, It is the voice of their cries;
Enoch 9:2 The earth deprived of her children has cried even to the gate of heaven.

gigem88 09-25-2012 09:20 PM

All things are possible, but not all things are probable. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean a whole hill of beans! The jury is still out.

Adam 09-25-2012 09:36 PM

Ghosts? Nope. But I will promptly change my mind the moment one jumps up in front of me and screams 'DUDE!!'

Zeke 09-25-2012 09:36 PM

I do, and I think mostly because it brings me comfort? Since my grandmother has passed and I've learned more about my grandfather who passed when I was much younger I believe more. Guess I should admit I love watching Long Island Medium too lol!

Seriously though, I do believe, at least inlet myself. I don't strive to disprove it like I have with other things. For now it somehow feels right.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveStory10 09-26-2012 03:13 AM

I do, and I have my whole life... I believe I've had encounters etc, but like an above poster said, the mind can play tricks.

Even so, I still believe, not really sure why though.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-26-2012 04:13 AM

Being of a scientific mind, I am yet to be presented with any strong and consistent evidence that they exist and therefore cannot "believe" in them until I have. However, when I was a kid (and not an impressionable one, I did not buy into Santa, the tooth fairy, wishes or any other nonsense - and I was already suspicious of religious texts lol) we lived in a huge warehouse down in a very old part of the harbour. And that experience always nags at the back of my mind when I dismiss ghosts.

The front building, where we lived, was built in the 1950s and completely normal - a 5 storey former bank. It was connected at the back to another much older building dating from the 1860s, which had previously been a wool store - it also had a 3-storey dungeon-like internal "building" that had historically been used to store valuables to be loaded or just off the ships (we called it the cellar). There were huge hoistwells everywhere, none had railings and you had to be careful. Most of the doors were made of stone or metal and were slid along runners. The old warehouse was a very curious place. For a long time we were the only people in either building, apart from the pigeons and a stray cat or two - Dad was acting as caretaker and had the only keys to every bit of both buildings. Due to its past uses, security on the building was pretty good - even if somebody could have managed to get in, it was impossible to get out.

Now, every once in a while (sometimes multiple times in a day, or sometimes not for months and months), there would be this huge WHUMP. So loud it made our solid brick building shudder very slightly. On one particularly active day, we all decided to follow the noise and discovered it was coming from part of the old building, near the "cellar". We found it curious but didn't really think about it. Mum laughed and called it "the ghost" but we didn't take it seriously.

Then the buildings were listed for demolition/restoration (the old one to be fully restored, ours to be demolished) and things really started happening. The whumps became very frequent. Dad would find himself locked in, or locked out, of parts of the old building. We discovered that there were rumours in the neighbourhood and among the surveyors that the old building was haunted. We heard stories from the local fire brigade about a tunnel between it and the cellar of the local and very old pub, where drunk young men had been lured, cracked over the head, bundled through the tunnel and made to work on ships (called tea-leafing).

A few movie studios decided to shoot in the building - the area was a really popular place for shooting films (the Matrix was done up the road, Dark City just upstairs from us). Dad had all the keys so he would provide them to the film security guards. But the security dogs howled and refused to stay there at night, and the guards kept finding themselves locked in or out of places. Sometimes doors would slam shut and a bolt could be heard being latched - and you'd find the door locked (happened to me once, NOT fun in the dark with only a torch!!). Dad was showing the way to a man once when he noticed what he thought was a second set of torchlight on the wall ahead - he turned, thinking the man had pulled out his own torch, but there was no other light source.

Anyway, this all went on and on. The preparation work for the demolition went very slowly - the construction company would hire people to check the structure of the old building, they'd turn up and within an hour have fled, leaving expensive tools behind. We didn't know if it was just the spooky atmosphere or something else, but it happened regularly.

Eventually, we moved out and the demolition and construction took place. It's quite sad to see it all cleaned up now, doesn't have any character anymore. I'm not sure what it was that was doing all these things, but it never felt malicious toward us, so we were happy enough. We nicknamed it "Fat Sam" after some graffiti we found in the old building ("Fat Sam woz here 1960"). Mum's theory about the whump was that it was the sound of a wool bale (they weighed about a tonne) falling down one of the hoistwells - she thought this might have happened so much the sound was recorded in the metal and stone structure of the building, like a cassette tape. We have never developed a satisfying theory about the bolting doors, torchlight or "feel" of the place though.

JamieLeighx 09-26-2012 11:44 AM

I'm the type of person that doesn't believe something until I see it.
I did not believe in santa or the tooth fairy when I was younger either. I also never believed in ghosts or spirits.
People would tell me about things they have experienced and I would laugh at them, my Grandmother used to tell me that when you lie in bed sometimes in her house you will hear people walk up the stairs and laughing. She lives in a detached house.
Another example would be when my mother told me that one time when she walked into my bedroom when I was a baby my rocking horse was rocking frantically whilst I was in my cot sleeping. I didn't believe any of it.

Then when my step-dad died, it all changed. I feel like I can 'feel' when somethings in the room, we have moved house 5 times since he died and in every house paranormal things have occurred. Things used to move around the room, items would go missing then magically appear in a different place(not the normal every day things where your mum moves your shoes ect), things used to literally fly across the room- we used to have a bathroom mirror that was weighed at the base and it went flying across the bathroom in the middle of the night...

The one thing I will never ever forget is the time my cousin stayed over for the night. It was just me and her in the house. We we're in the kitchen getting food, whilst we were walking by the bottom of the staircase I caught a black figure standing at the top of the stairs. It was like a silhouette, pure black and masculine, it was not a shadow. If it was a shadow of me or my cousin it would be grey-ish and would stretch up the stair case not be an actual figure at the top of the stairs.
I continued on into the living room and sat down, my cousin sat down beside me and whe turned round and looked at each other and at the same time said 'did you just see that?'. Now okay, if she didn't see I would have just thought it was my imagination but the fact that we BOTH had seen it really startled me.

Another freaky moment was when I walked into my brothers room and his tv turned on,when I stepped out it turned off. I ran down the stairs and told my mum, she tried it and nothing happened. So then I walked back into the room myself and it turned back on, I thought maybe the button was stuck on the remote or something so I walked out and went to walk back in but this time I lent in and hovered my foot above the floor and guess what? It turned back on!

This all happened in the one house, the one that we had lived in as a family when he was alive. Things got too out of hand so we moved out, it continued in the other houses. Have noticed that in the past 4 years it has been on-off, when my mum is in a relationship(she has had two- one now and one 2 years ago) it goes away? Nothing paranormal has happened it the past 6 or so months and tbh I miss it lol!

I don't mind it anymore because I know who it is and he means no harm, when we talk about it we refer to the 'ghost' as 'him'.
If I didn't feel I knew who it was and it meant no harm I would be long gone LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device