The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Bad Front Hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/bad-front-hooves-138767/)

CountryChic12 09-25-2012 07:37 PM

Bad Front Hooves

So my horse has had some trouble for the last couple days. His feet are really tender and are starting to crack. His back feet are fine it's just the front ones that's been bothering him. I've cleaned them out to see if there were any rocks or anything and nothing was wrong. The outside of his feet where the cracks are is the only sign of bad feet. He had his feet trimmed 5 weeks ago. He was always tender footed on rocks and stuff but today something just seemed different, the way he was limping, and we were on grass. I don't want him to become lame so what should I do? I can upload pictures if that would be more helpful?...

AlexS 09-25-2012 07:40 PM

You need to call your farrier.

Cowgirls Boots 09-25-2012 07:48 PM

Pics would be helpful but is free on calling a farrier or vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 09-25-2012 07:54 PM

He might have an abcess. He could have bruised his hoof somewhere. If he does have an abcess, he may start walking like he broke it. See if any parts of his hooves are tender. Put pressure on the sole, cornary band, frog ect. if he is tender, try soaking it in warm water and epsom salts. it will help the abcess drain quicker and he will have relief.
An Abcess is very common in horses hooves.

Jake and Dai 09-25-2012 07:54 PM

I agree with AlexS...call your farrier. But does he have any heat in his hooves? I'm wondering if perhaps he could have abscesses? My guy just had one blow out of his coronet band. I knew it was coming and treated him for it, but he was 3 legged lame the past 2 days until it came out. He's still sore but is now much better and on the mend. He had a very warm spot in the front of his hoof.

CountryChic12 09-25-2012 08:01 PM

What excactly is an abscess and what is the cause of it? I tried to look at the inside of his hooves tonight but it was getting dark and it was hard to see. He has cracks on both his front feet which really worry me

JustDressageIt 09-25-2012 08:09 PM

When were his feet trimmed last? (By a farrier)
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 09-25-2012 09:09 PM

An abcess is basicly an infection. A pocket of puss that hurts really bad until it drains and heals. Its cause by all sorts of things, like banging their hoof on something, stepping on a sharp rock all sorts of things. if you google hoof abcess it will explain better than I could and tell you what to do. An abcess will find the easiest way to drain. through the cornary band the wall or the sole, depends on the location. If you have ever seen a whole on the hoof wall ? chances are it was from an abcess and its growing its self out. they are very common. you can also youtube it and get a better idea.
hope this helps.

CountryChic12 09-25-2012 09:44 PM

No I don't think it's that his outside of his hooves are mildly cracked and chipped I will post pictures tomorrow. The inside of his hoof looks normal and healthy

EthanQ 09-25-2012 09:54 PM

MY gelding stepped on a bolt this summer and stabbed a small hole about 1 cm into his sole. He got an absess, and I only soaked it in epsom salts ( I soak everything in that stuff! haha) and he was healed soon after. I would also call the farrier only because poor hooves can lead to other things. Long hooves cause the horse to walk differently which strains tendons and ligaments in ways they aren't used to.