The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Corporal Punishment in Schools? (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/corporal-punishment-schools-138774/)

SouthernTrails 09-25-2012 09:11 PM

Corporal Punishment in Schools?

Setting up a Poll

Corporal Punishment in School, the good and the bad

Thoughts?

Split on the issue of spanking, parents wrestle with corporal punishment in schools, at home | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Jake and Dai 09-25-2012 09:21 PM

I voted no way. I would not want anyone laying a hand on my child. That is up to me to ensure my child was respectful and responsible. I personally took it very seriously when raising my daughter, who's now 22. And she is respectful and responsible but will speak her mind and do the right thing.

I just don't trust someone that I have not personally vetted to mete out such 'punishment'.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-25-2012 09:26 PM

I'm not entirely convinced on corporal punishment in schools - my dad's school had the strap, didn't seem to make any of those boys behave any better than the ones today. What really bugs me about discipline in schools today, and what I think should be fixed is:

- uniforms - I see so many boys with their shirts hanging out and ties askew, girls with hitched up skirts and kids generally looking very slovenly.

- lack of non-corporal punishment - detentions have become a joke, how about getting them to clean the gym locker room or something?

- mobile phones - too many kids use these in class, why not put in place those mobile phone jammers they use in theatres? An investment will be required but it would make the teachers' job a whole lot easier if the class were actually paying attention.

- general standard of behaviour required - whether at school or not, while they are in their uniform they should be well-behaved. There is a prestigious Catholic girls' school in my area that has an awful reputation of hosting loud-mouthed, sl*tty students - hop on any bus and there they are in their uniforms, behaving awfully.

- make-up - I'm confused, since when did it become OK to wear make-up to school? Especially layers and layers of it...

- spelling - has completely gone out the window, as have grammar, punctuation, handwriting and mental arithmetic. Call me old-fashioned (I'm 24, by the way), but I wouldn't employ someone who couldn't write legibly, construct a sentence or do basic calculations without reaching for their phone - I don't care what university degree they hold, those skills are essential in my book.

Just my $0.0208 (does the current AUD/USD exchange rate mean my two cents is worth more than everyone else's? :-P)

SouthernTrails 09-25-2012 09:33 PM

I voted undecided.

There is a lot of room for abuse as with anything, 40 years ago it was allowed in all schools were I lived, not many kids were ever paddled, the threat of a paddling did more to keep everyone behaving more than the actual paddling.

Of course a note to my dad would have always worked better than a paddling at school, the school would just give you one lick, my dad would give at least 3 :-)

Jake and Dai 09-25-2012 09:39 PM

All we needed growing up was "the look" from my dad. He didn't have to lift a finger! LOL

Joe4d 09-25-2012 09:41 PM

parents should be dealing with this.
The with consent wouldnt work, as the ones needing it wouldnt have consent. Or it would create differnt classes of kids. Punishment has to be fair and impartial to be effective. Having different standards for different kids isnt right.
While I am a firm believer in beating a kid that needs it. I also was victimized by an abusive little tyrant that had little man syndrome and I think got off on beating kids. Made him feel like a tough guy. If I ever run into him again I'll beat the snot him

Lockwood 09-25-2012 09:45 PM

Spanking is a serious thing and something that should only be doled out by a parent/guardian (if that is their parenting philosophy) because it gets into the whole "hitting is ok" type of bigger issue.

It is not what I do in my home, nor do I need to... and my child is very polite and respectful.
I don't want or need someone else's idea of punishment forced on my child.

Jake and Dai 09-25-2012 09:55 PM

Lockwood, I didn't need to spank my daughter either. I inherited "the look" from my father.

Faceman 09-25-2012 10:06 PM

I was raised with corporal punishment in school, have nothing against it, and would support it in any vote. I was whacked a few times, as were my sons, who attended school in Texas when they were young in the 70's, and I didn't have a problem with it. I also believe in expelling trroublemakers and in failing underperformers, instead of kicking the can down the road, should anyone ask.

In my opinion, parents are obsessively overprotective today, and most don't discipline their own children to begin with - but then I was raised in a different time...

Lockwood 09-25-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 1696806)
Lockwood, I didn't need to spank my daughter either. I inherited "the look" from my father.

LOL
I didn't inherit it from anyone, but apparently I got a good one from somewhere. Can bring him to tears with it and I have to really watch myself when I've had a bad day. :-o