The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Dressage for a Newbie? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/dressage-newbie-138777/)

JaneyWaney9 09-25-2012 09:25 PM

Dressage for a Newbie?

2 Attachment(s)
I ride my horse primarily hunter jumper, but an opportunity has come up to start working with a trainer in some dressage (yay!!). I'm browsing for saddles, obviously I'm not going to invest until I need to, but I'd like to get an idea.

My size for close contact saddles is 16.5. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, because I know that a lot of it is personal preference and the shape of the horse. A friend of mine has a dressage saddle, so I'll try that next time I'm out, but to ease my curiosity til then, any tips?

Also, the horse that is the candidate for dressage is a Quarter Horse. I've been told by a few dressage people that his neck is great for dressage, whatever that truly means. hehe

As you can see by the attached photos, his withers are kinda high. Are there any brands you suggest for him/us?

Attachment 113231

Attachment 113232

Kayty 09-25-2012 09:37 PM

Saddles are a very individual choice. Kieffer's tend to be well suited to high withered horses, but if you're anything like me you value your lady parts too much to buy one! Where as other people love them.
Shop around, try some saddles out and see what suits both you and your horse.

crimsonsky 09-26-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1696773)
Saddles are a very individual choice. Kieffer's tend to be well suited to high withered horses, but if you're anything like me you value your lady parts too much to buy one! Where as other people love them.
Shop around, try some saddles out and see what suits both you and your horse.

this made me lol! thanks kayty for a good laugh. :lol:

i have a horse with withers galore so i understand the need for a saddle that can accommodate them and so i currently ride in a Kieffer. it's quite comfortable to me so perhaps i'm one of those that doesn't have the lady part issues kayty was referring to.

the best thing you can do is try out different saddles and have someone knowledgeable (preferably an independent saddle fitter) assess the fit of both you and the horse.

good luck! :D

Kayty 09-26-2012 12:43 AM

Haha Kayty + Kieffer = never having kids!!!
They just do not suit me, 5 minutes at walk in any Kieffer and my lady bits are burning like someone's got a hot poker down my breeches :O :O :O :O

kitten_Val 09-26-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1696773)
Kieffer's tend to be well suited to high withered horses, but if you're anything like me you value your lady parts too much to buy one!

:rofl: Is it indeed so bad?

crimsonsky 09-26-2012 01:23 PM

omg!!! that's horrible! if i were you i'd certainly wouldn't want to ride in one either. sounds like what i felt like riding in a collegiate dressage saddle once. NOT. FUN.

Kayty 09-26-2012 09:31 PM

Yep Val, THAT bad! I cannot ride in a Kieffer, any other saddle is fine on my bits, but Kieffers and me do not mix :O I'm squirming just thinking about the pain involved haha! I've actually had some bleeding 'there' after riding a client's horse in a Kieffer for 45mins, struggled to even put pants on for a few days after! I know another lady who gets the same problem in Kieffers too, yeouch!!!!

xJumperx 09-27-2012 12:11 AM

Yowch, Kayty!! Never sat one, don't think I plan too o.o

Crimsonsky- here is where we see different saddles for different people :p I personally love Collegiates of any and all types. Every one seems to fit me perfect, and they are so comfy! Sefinatly my next buy will be a Laureate. I'm too broke to afford anything else :p

That said, you'd have to just shop around to see what you and pony like best :) Different strokes...

crimsonsky 09-27-2012 11:43 AM

yeah idk what it was with that particular saddle. my first saddle is a collegiate RD close contact that i bought brand new in 1992 and i still have it as it's one of the most comfortable saddles i've ever ridden in. unfortunately for me it doesn't fit any of my horses. :(

to the OP - try out LOTS of saddles and find what works for the two of you. as you can see here, everyone has something they like or don't like and they're not always the same. :P

star16 09-28-2012 09:40 AM

Quarter horses are fine for dressage, as are paints. They're certainly strong enough! I trained on a paint (from quarter horse stock) almost 4 years. The one problem we had was that it's more difficult for quarter horses and paints to "sit" on their haunches, since they're built so downhill. I have a saddlebred with high withers, and she just needs extra padding for her saddle.