The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   Horrendous case of abuse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/horrendous-case-abuse-138783/)

Animal lover 09-25-2012 09:35 PM

Horrendous case of abuse

I live in SC and many of my neighbors have horses. Some should not.
This is a case in the news in my county that is causing many horse lovers to wish that there were restrictions on owning any animal. Read the newspaper articles if you are so inclined, I've provided the links. Scroll down to read the comments, one of which is identified as the owner of the horse, others, I believe, are also the owner posting under various assumed names. I think you will be able to identify the posts.
Many innocent bystanders will be unable to get the thoughts of the horror this poor horse suffered during the accident and during the weeks of suffering she endured before being euthanized.
This "breeding farm" is owned and operated by a well known online western wear and tack seller. I would be interested in your comments.

'She had it all' - Index-Journal - Greenwood, SC

'Momma' passes away from injuries - Index-Journal - Greenwood, SC

Tianimalz 09-25-2012 09:45 PM

Maybe I missed something, I didn't read about abuse? I read about a horrible trailer accident.

Jake and Dai 09-25-2012 09:50 PM

I read the articles as well and see it as a horrific accident, but no abuse.

Taffy Clayton 09-25-2012 09:50 PM

I don't get it.
Are people mad at the haulers for having a inept trailer
or are thet mad at the owner for not getting proper medical attention, or
are they mad because the horse was not put to sleep sooner.

It looks like a bad deal all around and the horse paid the price, dearly. My horse would have been PTS that night if he had broken both fetlocks.

Jewelsb 09-25-2012 09:51 PM

I don't get it... Why is everyone mad at her owner? Did she not take the mare to the vet?
I think the haulers need to be held accountable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Animal lover 09-26-2012 12:31 AM

I think many are finding it quite difficult to understand how someone could allow an animal in their care to be transported in a trailer with a rotting floor, to then allow that animal to suffer for 3 weeks before being euthanized, and then blame everyone but yourself. Granted those who transported the horse bear much of the responsibility, but so does the owner who allowed the horse to be put in a substandard trailer.
As for this not being abuse, I don't know what else to call it. In most states, if you drive a child without a proper restraint you can be ticketed for neglect and endangerment, if that child is then injured or killed as a result of that negligence that is abuse. Why would it be abuse if you cause a child to be injured but not abuse in the gross negligence shown this horse?

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-26-2012 12:48 AM

It's possible they weren't aware the floor was rotted. If there were rubber mats on the floor. Not saying it's an excuse, I'm just saying I wouldn't say the owner allowing the horse to be in that trailer was abuse. Not having the horse PTS with those injuries? Possibly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 09-26-2012 12:51 AM

Agree^
Posted via Mobile Device

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-26-2012 01:59 AM

I think we have to be careful when we use the word 'abuse' that we don't dilute the meaning. There is enough terrible abuse of horses and other animals out there, I don't see any point in labelling this abuse - seems the owners tried to save her and have a pile of medical bills because the insurance company refused to pay out. Perhaps they were too keen to hang onto the poor girl, but that doesn't equal abuse. The transporters were negligent for not keeping their trailer in good condition but that hardly constitutes abuse either.

Not a "horrific case of abuse", a tragic accident brought on by negligence on the part of the transporter, and possibly extended by too strong a desire to save her by the owners (although I don't know the full extent of the injuries, and they may have been advised by their vet that she was saveable).

Roperchick 09-26-2012 02:07 AM

i dont really see abuse....
i see horrid negligence on the haulers part....

but the owner was doing the best for her horse and is quoted saying "if the horse cannot get adequate care and cannot be saved then she will be pts immediately"
how is that abuse?