The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Mouth Guards???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/mouth-guards-138800/)

Live2Ride15 09-25-2012 11:11 PM

Mouth Guards????

Does anyone here wear mouth guards while riding? I am debating getting a custom one after I killed a tooth falling off last year.

trailhorserider 09-25-2012 11:15 PM

I never heard of anyone wearing a mouth guard while riding.

Except maybe bull or bronc riders? It seems like I've seen them messing with things in their mouths, or maybe I am getting them confused with other sports.

I knew a guy that rode bulls and he was missing a bunch of front teeth. :lol:

Live2Ride15 09-25-2012 11:47 PM

Nether had I before i ran across an article and it mention it when jumping, Then i was like "Humm... odd"

Copperhead 09-26-2012 01:20 AM

There are 1000 ways to knock a tooth out. Horseback riding is one of them. I wouldn't wear one...personally, I have never seen anyone lose a tooth from falling. I HAVE seen teeth fly when a friend of mine was kicked in the mouth though.

If you want to and it makes you feel safer, then thats up to you. I might feel differently if I knocked out a tooth while falling off!

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-26-2012 02:26 AM

You know, until very recently when I was reading a horse riding insurance policy that covered dental work, I didn't even think about my teeth. I've never worn my glasses while riding because I worry they'll get broken or bent if I fall or they fall off my nose and get stepped on. But teeth, haven't even thought about them!

I probably wouldn't wear a mouthguard, only because I'm very fussy about "accessories" - I can't ride wearing a wristwatch, or any form of jewellery. Can't even wear a long-sleeved jacket, I need to feel completely unencumbered (helmet excepted, I think I'd feel weird if I went bareheaded, but it has to be perfectly fitted or it drives me mad). Most I've ever done is ridden with a credit card in my pocket, can't even have a small phone or some keys on me (such a fusspot! lol).

I worry about my arms - if I broke one I'd not be able to work so I always make sure I tuck them in when I fall.

alexischristina 09-26-2012 02:43 AM

I would only wear a mouth guard type thing because I've recently gotten into the habit of clenching / grinding my teeth ALL the time, including while riding, while I'm 'concentrating' but otherwise I haven't thought of it.

Copperhead 09-26-2012 03:22 AM

I've never worn my glasses because I was afraid of falling and having them cut into my face. The one day I DID wear them, I fell off, broke my arm, and...what do you know. The glasses cut into my face!

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-26-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1697160)
I've never worn my glasses because I was afraid of falling and having them cut into my face. The one day I DID wear them, I fell off, broke my arm, and...what do you know. The glasses cut into my face!

Sod's Law... I tried wearing contacts but with all the arena dust/grass clippings they became so unworkable I had to wear trackwork goggles over the top (and look incredibly stupid in the process). I eventually gave up and just memorised the letters in the arena lol. Besides, I find contacts and glasses awful for peripheral vision - partially why I gave up learning to drive a car, and very dangerous when you have 7 riders (some complete beginner 4yos) all doing their own thing in a small dressage arena, plus various instructors on the ground...

Joidigm 09-26-2012 11:01 AM

My contacts get gunked up in the arena, but I'll take them over glasses any day.

I've fallen on my face already. I busted my nose and my right eye a little bit. Ate some dirt, but thankfully my teeth were fine. I don't think I could wear a mouth guard though; I'd be chewing on it! Besides, I'm not going to get a nose guard, even though I have fallen on my face already.

verona1016 09-26-2012 03:51 PM

Never thought of wearing a mouth guard for riding, but then again, I don't do jumping or XC, and I ride a very level headed horse. So I guess the odds of my falling off are low to begin with (not low enough to not wear a helmet, though!), and having a fall in such a way as to lose teeth is even lower.