The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Foundation QH or just average? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/foundation-qh-just-average-138803/)

mockingbird 09-26-2012 12:43 AM

Foundation QH or just average?

Wondering if my palomino Quarter horse mare, Scout, might be what they call foundation bred? Here's her pedigree link:Good Walk On Terms Quarter HorseI have no clue if these are good, great or just average lines. If I could figure out how to post a picture of her to the forum using my cell phone I would :-(

Nuala 09-26-2012 01:36 AM

She has some great lines with Bars, Leo, Poco and Skip however she looks pretty heavily inbred farther back in her lines, at least on her dams side.

I would say that yes she is foundation bred but not purely foundation bred. You will see ads that say 75% foundation 25% doc bred mare that is because some of the lines are not foundation. You can also always go to the Foundation QH Association.

For a little more information on that here is a couple links.
FQHA * Foundation Quarter Horse Association The Original Non-Profit Foundation Quarter Horse Association
Foundation Quarter Horses

mockingbird 09-26-2012 08:43 AM

Thanks for that info! I'll have to check that out- Scout is so stocky and looks nothing like my sister's quarter horse, Modern Invitation, who is half sister to One Hot Sister out of One Hot Invitation. So different in the body types! Thanks for taking a minute to look at her pedigree and give an opinion!

verona1016 09-26-2012 02:16 PM

NFQHA calculates percentage foundation QH by finding all the TB horses in the last 10 generations and deducting the percentage they contributed from 100%. You can do this yourself, but it is very time consuming, since each generation you go back doubles the number of horses you looked at in the previous generation- the 10th generation has 1024 horses in it!

I was very bored a while back and did the calculations for my horse's dam (my horse is 1/2 QH). It took a very long time to complete, and I was relying on AllBreedPedigree, which may or may not be accurate, especially that far back!

DrumRunner 09-26-2012 02:49 PM

While she has some of the bigger foundation bred horses on her pedigree I wouldn't call her foundation bred. IMO, a horse has to be a high percentage of foundation blood for me to consider it foundation bred.

deserthorsewoman 09-26-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mockingbird (Post 1697071)
Wondering if my palomino Quarter horse mare, Scout, might be what they call foundation bred? Here's her pedigree link:Good Walk On Terms Quarter HorseI have no clue if these are good, great or just average lines. If I could figure out how to post a picture of her to the forum using my cell phone I would :-(

Had the same problem with my cell. I went to "full version", there I uploaded my pics straight from the phone in an album and copy and paste into a post.
Posted via Mobile Device

mockingbird 09-26-2012 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.horseforum.com/attachment...1&d=1348688808Not for any purpose other than to show how pretty she is--haha

ParaIndy 09-26-2012 05:42 PM

She is such a pretty golden color!

mockingbird 09-26-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaIndy (Post 1697844)
She is such a pretty golden color!

Thanks! I think she's pretty snazzy too :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

GotaDunQH 09-29-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mockingbird (Post 1697071)

I wouldn't call her foundation bred...the bottom side is very modern and current. Lots of Three Bars top and bottom, and he was a TB and not recognized as a foundation line by all the foundation QH associations. Nonetheless....I really like the bottom side!!!