The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   6 months and 400 lbs later.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/6-months-400-lbs-later-138810/)

DriftingShadow 09-26-2012 01:33 AM

6 months and 400 lbs later..

4 Attachment(s)
Drifter gained a major hay belly while on paddock rest for 4 weeks, but he is finally starting to lose it. He is still in no work other than light rides due to his stifle injury, but he is moving really well out in his pasture. Thankfully he seems to have kept all his weight even though we had to cut his grain due to ulcers (gosh its been an eVETful month...ha).

I was letting him graze by the small arena today and I snapped some pics of him looking oh so handsome. Can't believe 6 months ago he only weighed 850 lbs. He has come a long way. According to his last vet visit he is now up to 1,270. I think we are starting to look a little chubby, but I am keeping an eye on him. I think it is mainly because he is getting to be a pasture puff as of right now. And sorry for the lack of muscle tone, we were doing so good about finally developing some and the 4 weeks of rest snatched it all away. Once we can get back to riding long distances again I am hoping it will build back up

Oh, and .. Ahem...sorry about 2 of the photos (you'll know which ones I'm talking about). The mare he has a crush on was working in the arena and that happens every time he sees her. Not every mare, just her. He's so weird. I think he refuses to believe I gelded him.:oops:

But anyways, I didnt notice it until after I had taken the pictures. So Im apologizing for that now haha

deserthorsewoman 09-26-2012 01:44 AM

Handsome, handsome....even with 5 legs;-)

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-26-2012 04:18 AM

Woohoo, when's the grass baby due? :-P He looks lovely, and my horse does that too - although his girlfriend is a complete hussy and keeps pressing her butt toward him...but there she is, and down it comes! Lol.

So you don't feel too embarrassed about the belly...here's Brock's:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...57676735_n.jpg

Barrel! It's so stretched underneath, I'm afraid he might burst :/

ETA: Sorry for the gigantic picture, picture resizing doesn't seem to be working...

DriftingShadow 09-26-2012 10:51 AM

Grass baby, evil horse? More like grass twins!! He has always been such a hard keeper before now that this is totally new for us. I wonder if curing his ulcers is helping him to keep weight on? I love the pic of Brock! Such a handsome boy :) and good to know that Drif isn't the only pregnant gelding out there hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-27-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriftingShadow (Post 1697427)
Grass baby, evil horse? More like grass twins!! He has always been such a hard keeper before now that this is totally new for us. I wonder if curing his ulcers is helping him to keep weight on? I love the pic of Brock! Such a handsome boy :) and good to know that Drif isn't the only pregnant gelding out there hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha twins indeed! He was similar when I first bought him in early 2011 - the lady who trucked him to his new home was like "Ummm...are you sure that's not a pregnant mare?" when she first saw him in the field. His anatomy proved otherwise, thankfully, and he trimmed up in no time after I took him out of the paddock but, well, here he is again! Difficult to ride with, it moves from side to side and kills my hips lol.

I think curing his ulcers would definitely helped Drif keep weight on, and the stifle injury has probably helped too as I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing much running around on it! He's a handsome boy even with the belly and no topline, but horses seem to trim up and build muscle so much easier than people so I'm sure he won't take long to get back into shape once he's over his injury!

Brock is too lazy to run around anyway lol, believe it or not this is him on a diet, when he's on full feed he develops layers of fat on his back, neck and ribs that jiggle when you poke them...

MangoRoX87 09-27-2012 09:21 AM

Does that fifth leg help him run faster??? XD :rofl:

Sorry, I crack myself up...he looks great!:D
Posted via Mobile Device