The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Boarding (/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Question for BO's- board and deceased horse (

gothicangel69 09-26-2012 11:34 AM

Question for BO's- board and deceased horse
I am fighting the hard decision of possibly having to put my horse down, and am wondering about the 1 months notice for paying board. I will definitely be paying a one months notice to my BO if do have to put him down as she is a fantastic person and I understand she has bills to pay, but I am wondering what the general practice is surrounding euthanasia and notice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-26-2012 11:36 AM

Generally, the 30 day notice is only for a horse who is going to be moved, not euthed. It's nice of you to give your BO the payment, but I don't think she's going to expect it.

My condolences. It's a tough decision.

gothicangel69 09-26-2012 06:44 PM

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I have decided to have the poor guy put down, so I appreciate your info.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 09-26-2012 07:00 PM

My sincere condolences :(
Can you approach them about it and ask what their expectation is? If I ran a barn, I personally would probably not think twice about waiving the 30 day notice for someone, especially a good boarder. The only thing I can think of would be if the barn was full up and you wanted to hold a stall for a new horse..? But that's getting ahead of myself!
Again, my condolences - it is never easy to make that decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-26-2012 07:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. As a barn owner, I would not expect 30 day notice or payment from someone whose horse has had a catastrophic illness or injury. The only way I'd expect that would be if you had another horse you wanted to bring in to take your late horse's place, then I'd need to hold the stall for you. Otherwise, I would send a condolence card to you and give you a hug and wish you well.

Northernstar 09-26-2012 07:31 PM

My heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your horse. I'm certain your barn owner will work with you under the circumstances....

gothicangel69 09-26-2012 07:34 PM

Thank you. I've been a wreck all night just thinking about it. I havn't told the BO what I've decided yet as I don't know quite how to break the news. We spoke last night, so she knows what is going on, but doesn't know that he's gotten worse today and I've decided to put him down. I know she will be very upset, and am nervous about telling her.
Posted via Mobile Device

gothicangel69 09-26-2012 07:41 PM

I won't be getting another horse for long time, so don't need to hold a stall. It took me 6 years to convince myself to get back into the horse world (after getting out because I lost my horse), so I doubt I'll be getting another horse for a while. I'm not even sure if I wan't to be around horses anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

GhostwindAppaloosa 09-26-2012 07:47 PM

I know this isnt something you want to think about but make sure you have arrangements to remove his body. Im so very sorry about your loss.

Lins 09-26-2012 10:00 PM

Is this the 4.5 year old with the head/mouth problems??
Posted via Mobile Device

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome