The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   When did the stock industry start using fake tails? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/when-did-stock-industry-start-using-138861/)

TheAQHAGirl 09-26-2012 04:22 PM

When did the stock industry start using fake tails?

Hopefully I don't start too much of a fuss.

A friend and I were talking about it and we started talking about the subject. Was it during the time when people peanut-rolled their horses?

Do you think its a fad and that it will go away?

Do you think at any point AQHA will not allow them?

Anyways...

Please don't start fights, I don't want to cause any.

Just one of my opinions-
I feel like at one point, in 100 years or next year, that it will eventually go away. I feel like it is likely going to happen sooner or later.
Another thing is, I don't really get why people are upset about it either. I personally don't mind them, and I don't see the fuss in it. They're just tail extensions. But anyways, I was just curious to see what people say.

Thanks.

HarleyWood 09-26-2012 04:30 PM

i think its pointless if they have a fake tail in. its Fake! what is the point to it? if a horse cant grow a tail then they cant and people should just accept that and not try to make them look "better'

Joe4d 09-26-2012 04:36 PM

yeh especially considering the tails are coming from mexican slaughter houses. So yep go ahead and support the slaughter industry.

oh vair oh 09-26-2012 04:45 PM

I love fake tails. I think they complete "the look" and paint a prettier picture of the horse overall. I have absolutely no problem with it until people start weighting them down too much.

If you don't like fake tails, try showing NSHA, or SHOT (Texas). Even ranch horse pleasure classes. I don't believe they allow any sparkle or "extras" of any kind.

gypsygirl 09-26-2012 05:27 PM

i hate fake tails, you always know they are fake even if they are put in well. i think they are pointless, horses look fine the way they are.

TheAQHAGirl 09-26-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1697836)
yeh especially considering the tails are coming from mexican slaughter houses. So yep go ahead and support the slaughter industry.

Just wondering, where did you hear that from?

I have a couple of friends who have different kinds of horses (variety in colors) and every so often they cut their tails off (the hair--not he whole tail, i'm sure you know what i mean) and then they sell it.

Then they put Sulfur of flowers and vaseline in the horse's tails and they grow faster. So the process is a lot faster.

Also, not all fake tails are real. Some are synthetic.

gigem88 09-26-2012 08:37 PM

I'm not a big fan of fake tails, especially the ones that drag the ground! I think QHs look so much better/muscular with a shorter tail.

Spotted 09-26-2012 08:46 PM

I don't like the idea at all!
Someone cut the tails of my horses one year. Probly sold it too....
I was not a happy camper and neither were the horses. The bugs were terrible that year. Hate the idea!

TheAQHAGirl 09-26-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1698101)
I don't like the idea at all!
Someone cut the tails of my horses one year. Probly sold it too....
I was not a happy camper and neither were the horses. The bugs were terrible that year. Hate the idea!

How awful! I'm assuming that is your horse in your profile picture. If it is, his tail is white and (not sure if you know) veryyyyyyy valuable. Some people can sell tails for $350+ I've even heard of some people buying some for $1,000.

So, of course, in your case it was human greed. Thats just pathetic.

I'm sorry for that. I hope his tail is back to the way it was.

Muppetgirl 09-26-2012 10:22 PM

My guys tail is like dental floss! So I braid it up to stop it from getting caught up and snagged and even thinner.....a fake tail is looking pretty good to me right now......however in saying that, my guy has a fabulous butt, and it looks even bigger and more powerful when I'm riding him because his tail braided.....thin beside fat just makes fat look even bigger! (too bad the same applies to people!)